Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen resolution problem on a new Windows XP install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wh33ls

wh33ls

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

Hello,

I recently had to re-install Windows XP on my girlfriend's PC due to a nasty virus. After completing the re-install and doing all the necessary Windows Updates (to XP SP3 and everything else), I still cannot change the screen resolution to anything besides 800x600. I go to Control Panel--Display--Settings and for anything above that resolution, the monitor says "Out of Range." I can click "Advanced" then the "Monitor" tab, then under "Monitor type" it says "Default Monitor" and the Properties tab is grayed out. I'm not sure what to do next. Before the virus and the re-install, the monitor would support higher resolutions.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

Did you go to the PCs manufacturers website and download all the necessary device drivers for the particular make and model?

#3 wh33ls

wh33ls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for that suggestion. That did it! You may close this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users