Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Will Not Boot...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vulturous

Vulturous

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

Hey there! First post here. Really hoping for some help.

First off, we are unable to find the original Recovery CDs.

So I was asked to do a favor for a friend. Her laptop had a worm of some sort that she needed help getting rid of. Well, I tried running Sypbot, and it seemed to work fine, but I had problems right after it finished. I ran into the problem where the logon screen would appear, I would try to select an account, but it would log me right back off. I tried to go into safe mode, but I get a blue screen and am restarted.

I tried following this tutorial on how to fix the Logon/Logoff Loop:

http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/

Didn't work. I get an error while trying to run Spybot. But after trying to run what I was told to run, I get a couple missing DLL file errors instead of the looping. Probably because it can't even get there anymore.

I then tried borrowing another Windows XP CD, and booting that way, but I am given this error:

"Setup Did Not Find Any Hard Disk Drives"

But I know for a fact that there is in fact a hard drive in the machine, and it is being detected. In the logon/logoff loop tutorial, I used a Vista recovery CD. And I am able to see the C:\ drive, which is untouched space wise, so it's there.

So is there anything I can do? I've tried everything. Including:
  • Safe Mode [Blue Screen]
  • Last Known Good Configuration [No Change]
  • Logon/Logoff Tutorial [Made Things Worse]
  • Tried Another Windows XP CD [Hard Drive Error]
I usually don't go to places like this for help, but I am really at my wit's end here.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:02 AM

What is the make and model number of the computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Vulturous

Vulturous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I knew there was something I missed. It is a Compaq Presario C300.

A little update, I was able to boot to the desktop by replacing a couple system files. I am currently running a Malwarebytes scan. Hopefully it works!

EDIT: The Malwarebytes scan didn't work, but I was able to bypass the "Setup Did Not Find Any Hard Disk Drives" error by disabling SATA mode via the BIOS. I was able to whipe the old partition clean and make a fresh one. I'm in the process of restoring my drivers and such. :thumbsup:

So this could probably be closed.

Thanks again for all the help!

Edited by Vulturous, 18 January 2010 - 04:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users