Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows failure to boot!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DogStar5988

DogStar5988

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hi, I've had a few viruses or malware on my computer and I thought I had finally gotten rid of them with Malwarebytes however now there is a new issue. After trying to do a restart a bunch of command prompts popped up and then it froze. After trying to start up again I just got a screen saying that windows failed to start successfully and gave me options such as starting in safe mode etc. I tried all of those options and only got the blue screen that says there is a problem and windows will shut down. So now I can't get into my computer at all. I have tried using the recovery console however I don't have the administrator password so I can't really get into it. Please let me know what I can try to fix this. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

Just hit Enter...when the Recovery Console asks for a password. Normally, one is not required for access to RC commands.

Louis

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

Dupe post by me.
Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#4 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

I first get the option of 1: c:\minint or 2:c:\WINDOWS
I choose windows, and then it asks for the password. I tried hitting enter and it says invalid password. This is a laptop that I bought from my university, so it was first owned by them and it is entirely possible that they created a password. Is there any way to do this without that password??

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

That's unfortunately known catch 22.
I've seen number of computer, where no password was set, but recovery console will ask for it and it won't accept "Enter".
It's possible to disable recovery console password, but...only from within Windows.

Do you have Windows XP CD?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

Yes I do have the CD.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:44 AM

I suggest Windows repair installation: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repa...ws-XP-t138.html

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:58 AM

Thank you i will give that a try

#9 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

I tried to run the repair but then it keeps going into safe mode and saying that the xp setup cant run in safemode, and it restarts. Is there a way I can stop it from going into safe mode. I tried hitting f8 and saying "start windows normally" but it still ends up in safe mode. Also in the f8 menu there are more options than normal: Enable boot logging, Enable VGA mode, Directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only), Debugging mode, Disable auto restart on system failure, start windows normally, and reboot.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Did you engage the safeboot option...using msconfig...when you were trying to deal with your malware?

Windows XP defaults to Safe Mode at every startup - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/safeboot.htm

Louis

#11 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

Its an IBM Thinkpad R60. Running on Windows XP Pro service pack 3. I haven't gone into MSCONFIG at all. I did just run the Avira Antivir Rescue System to try and get rid of some of the infection and that system renames infected files if it cannot remove them.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

I'd probably travel to malware forum to make sure your computer is really clean.

My Website

#13 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:11 AM

Yes I am thinking I may have to deal with the malware problem first. Can someone move this thread? Or should I make a new one?

#14 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

I'll make a new thread, I will have to explain the problem differently anyway. Thanks for the help everyone!

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thank you for being courteous and open to suggestions :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users