Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts itself after RAM upgrade and processor upgrade(sort of)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 smoky

smoky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi!
I'm having some major difficulties with my computer. First of all, I think I should explain what lead to this difficulties (at least I think that did). A few days ago, my boyfriend noticed that my processor is not properly recognized by Windows in the System tab, I have a Athlon XP 2400+, 2000 MHz but in the System tab it said 512 MHz, and also in BIOS. So, we opened up the computer and checked what processor do I really have, and it was 2000 MHz, since we opened the thing already, I took the chance to clean it up a little, by that I mean that we disconnected the CPU cooler and after the cleaning we connected it again. On the next boot my processor was recognized properly and the machine was working a 100 times better than before, but after one successful boot, computer just restarted itself in a constant loop, it got to the welcome screen and then restarted again. I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro and it worked fine but it restarts itself every now and then, for example, when I play a game, it works for some time and then restarts, today I tried to connect my phone to it and instant restart occurred. Also, I think that my BIOS settings are not completely right, but I can't be sure because I have very little knowledge about it but I did change the processor settings to match to my processor model. I mentioned that I had a RAM upgrade, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the problems, but my old RAM is still in there, although it is not recognized, but I was told that that's because my new RAM is not the same manufacturer as my old one.
Sorry for the long story, I wasn't sure which information is important.
I would appreciate any help I can get. Please, tell me what information you need and I'll post it as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users