Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer restarts upon startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brinstar

Brinstar

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hello,

I have bought the following components and assembled my computer this morning:

Intel Quad Core Q8200 2.33 GHz
Asus P5P43TD Motherboard
OCZ Fatality 550W PSU
OCZ 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 RAM
EVGA GeForce 9500GT 512 MB Video Card
I also put my old Western Digital 320GB HDD into this computer.

I tried turning it on for the first time earlier this morning and then right after I get the ASUS BIOS screen, I get a No Signal display on my monitor and then the computer reboots. However, upon booting, there is only a single beep; i.e. no error code.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

A basic reference, No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml.

Although the 1 beep sounds like it may be POST...I would try reseating the video card and RAM.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Does it complete a boot if booting from an OS CD/DVD?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Brinstar

Brinstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Does it complete a boot if booting from an OS CD/DVD?

I have yet to install the optical drive since I am unsure how it works with the IDE cable... It is too short to reach the optical drive (from the HDD) and my motherboard only has one IDE "slot".

As for reseating the RAM and Video Card, I have tried that already to no avail.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

My jist is, if you are trying to boot the system with a hard drive previously in use in another system, you are in for all kinds of weirdness.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Brinstar

Brinstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

So you think I should just reformat the hard drive completely and then try again?

#7 albert12

albert12

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:51 AM

I have also somewhat same problem. My Compaq laptop restarts automatically after I have formatted my Windows XP to Windows Vista. Is there any major technical issue?

#8 Brinstar

Brinstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

Just noticed something:

My hard drive has an IDE interface to connect to the motherboard. However, my motherboard has only one IDE interface (and I guess it is to be used for the optical drive) and a chunk of SATA connectors. Does that mean that since both aren't compatible and I need to change either the motherboard or hard disk drive?

Thanks

#9 Brinstar

Brinstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Here is my motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813131395

I have tried connecting my optical drive to the IDE slot on the motherboard, and Windows is able to somewhat "boot" (right after the computers loads the files from the Windows CD, I get a screen saying a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to my computer. They also say it might be caused by new hardware recently installed). So that leads me to a few questions:

1) Do I get this error screen simply because no HDD is connected to the motherboard?

2) If I get a SATA HDD (from what I understand of my motherboard's specifications, it is only able to connect to HDDs via SATA), will I be able to connect it properly; would that pretty much solve everything?

3) I am lost in all that thermal paste thing... I have built a computer in the past, never applied some and everything was great! Could someone let me know if my CPU Intel Quad Core Q8200 2.33 GHz Yorkfield 1333FSB 4MB comes with pre-applied paste? If not, which one should I get?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users