Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox shutdown in Ubuntu problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

At this point, this appears to be a Ubuntu related error, thus I'm posting it here.

I'm actually using SuperOS which is an enhanced version of Ubuntu 9.10. My Firefox version is 3.5.7.

The problem - when I shut down FF , most of the time it keeps running somehow - CPU usage shows 96 - 100%. Sometimes it will shut all the way down, sometimes about 30 seconds, but most of the time I finally have to open the system monitor and end the process. To back up a bit, I was having this problem before, and burned a new CD, Installed it using the entire HHD space to get a fresh start - to no avail.

The reason I think it is Ubuntu specific is that I have the same FF version on my Mint8 machine and there are no problems.

EDIT - I knew I was forgetting something - I do close out all tabs before shutting FF down.

Edited by Keith1, 17 January 2010 - 04:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willm

Willm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

I would recommend that you try starting Firefox from terminal. Open a terminal and type firefox, this should open it for you. I would like to see if you get any error messages. Once you run it for a period of time, say 30 minutes to an hour, close it the way your normally do and see if there are any errors that come up in terminal for you. If you get anything post them here so that we can take a look at it.

Cheers!

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. upon issuing the command in the terminal I got this -

(firefox:4442): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

I'll do my normal surfing for an hour, then shut it down, and see if I get any error messages.

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Ok, while Firefox was opened via terminal, it shutdown just fine after 6 attempts. I then closed the terminal and opened firefox from the Ubuntu panel, surfed a bit, then closed it - hung up again, had to end it via system monitor.

Posted Image

Is there any other info you need me to post?

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

I think I may have found the culprit. While looking for anything different I happened upon an extension that I didn't know was there.

It is Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 0.8 - I don't remember seeing it before, so I disabled it and after restarting FF a half dozen times, everything seems to be fine now. I'll let it run that way for awhile to be sure, then I'll enable the extension just to see if the problem reoccurs.

EDIT - Wouldn't you just know it! - the very next time I shutdown Firefox it totally hung with 100% CPU usage, I had to manually end the process again - guess I'll have to keep looking. I did view a flash video during that last session, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Edited by Keith1, 18 January 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#6 Willm

Willm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hi,

I will look for a better solution than what I have found so far. I have found this article, but I don't recommend that you follow the instructions. As they recommend that you do an rm -rf of the mozilla file. Which will remove the file completely. I am sure that there is another solution out there, it is just being elusive.

EDIT: you don't have xulrunner-headless installed on firefox do you, if so you can try removing it and see if that works.

Cheers!

Edited by Willm, 20 January 2010 - 03:46 PM.

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:26 AM

Yes, I am a bit leary of the rm command mentioned in the article, but need be as a last resort I would be willing to try it. I don't have xulrunner-headless installed. I'll keeping searching around myself - seeing if Mr. Google turns up anything else.

I'm going to be bouncing back and forth between my Mint8 and Ubuntu machines ( both using same FF version ) to see if I can find any differences, but at this point it still seems Ubuntu specific.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Keith

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

Ok, the situation has changed. This morning I had Ubuntu updates available, and looking through them I saw several FF items such as branding and Gnome support. They all said 3.5 so I went ahead and downloaded/installed the updates, but when I started FF back up I somehow had Namoroka 3.6.1 !!!!

I didn't think Ubuntu released anything but stable versions! Any how after a few shutdowns it's still hanging, but now it's FF bin - I'm really confused now. Here's what it does -

Posted Image

I don't even know what to Google for now!! No hurry, I can live with it for now.

Thanks, Keith

#9 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

They all said 3.5 so I went ahead and downloaded/installed the updates, but when I started FF back up I somehow had Namoroka 3.6.1 !!!!

I didn't think Ubuntu released anything but stable versions!

I may not be of much help here, but I recommend that you check your repositories (System > Administration > Software Sources) for any pre-release and unusual entries if you haven't done so already.

Edited by MadDawg, 22 January 2010 - 04:20 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#10 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

Thanks MadDawg - I really don't know what I'm looking for there, so let me put in screenshots of the catagories, and see if anything is suspect.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

The only thing I can see that may be causing FF's problems is the http://ppa.lauchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu karmic line in the Other Software tab. I looked up this repo, but the sites I looked at are not quite telling me whether or not the updates are fully stable (unless I'm blind :thumbsup:). Because of this, I can't recommend any action here as far as repos go. Sorry.

Edited by MadDawg, 22 January 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#12 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for checking on it MadDawg, When I Google items myself, I get links that lead to more links to the point where it gets way over my head, and I have to back out of it. So, I'll be patient for now and see what we can come up with.

#13 sjr_2009

sjr_2009

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for checking on it MadDawg, When I Google items myself, I get links that lead to more links to the point where it gets way over my head, and I have to back out of it. So, I'll be patient for now and see what we can come up with.

Keith1, I have a very similar problem now and then in Mandriva. Usually in that case I've shut down Firefox and then want to go back to the 'net and it'll tell me an instance is already running. Then it's off to the System Manager panel and shut down the process. The odd thing is that it's not consistent at all -- I can go for a week without it happening.

I wondered if it was something in Gnome, but unfortunately my Google-fu leads me to the same mess of endless links and whatnot. It's not just you. Good luck.

#14 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:04 PM

Yep, that's what makes it difficult to pinpoint, does it everytime for awhile, then shutsdown fine a few times - just back and forth.

I did uninstall the (pre) version I inherited and installed 3.5.7 again to have a stable base to work with. I think I'll look around the Mozilla forums a bit to see if I can find anything. I'm very reluctant to ask on the Ubuntu Forum because I've been "talked down to" a couple of times like I was stupid! That's surely not in keeping with the Linux Community.

Thanks for all your input everyone, I'll keep checking back.

Keith

#15 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

I think I'll look around the Mozilla forums a bit to see if I can find anything.

I'm doing the same and I've come across these threads:

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum...e_control=86400

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/550229

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1375930

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/547799 (found via the above Ubuntu Forums link)

This seems to be a more common problem than I expected.

EDIT: Most of the links point to a problem with the Ghostery add-on. One mentioned HP Smart Web Print, but I think that only pertains to Windows.

Edited by MadDawg, 24 January 2010 - 03:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users