Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ugh Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RealMenChewGum

RealMenChewGum

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

I recently built a new computer and it was running fine and all the hardware and drivers were installed correctly. I tried to install my dsl service but when it got to the step that tests the connection it couldn't find a connection. However, I was able to surf the Internet at will even though my dsl service wasn't installed. Now, whenever I try to do anything in any account with the Internet plugged in, my computer quickly restarts (sometimes a blue screen flashes very quickly but i cant read any of it). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grumpdaddy1

Grumpdaddy1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:43 PM

What DSL service are you using? With XP, I found that I didn't need to install all the crap I had to with my DSL on my old Win98 machine. I just used the internet connection wizard and entered the user/pass I wused with the old setup. I use SBC and I just entered SBCIS for the provider name (per phone call with SBC). Works great!

Hope this helps.
"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all"

#3 RealMenChewGum

RealMenChewGum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:44 PM

I use SBC too and you are probably right about my DSL service but that still doesn't explain why my computer restarts when I am plugged into the Internet.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

Hmmm, are you connecting via wire or wireless adapter/network card? This could be a compatibility issue.

#5 RealMenChewGum

RealMenChewGum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

Via wire to the built in network adapter.

#6 Grumpdaddy1

Grumpdaddy1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:13 PM

Sounds like a power management problem or modem problem. As far as the power management issue goes, try resetting BIOS to default. If this doesn't work, then check your modem. Some DSL modems are configured with their own static IP addresses, so you might want to contact SBC about yours (especially if they gave it to you) and how to configure using your NIC and WinXP. You can try troubleshooting your network configuration by going to

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Download the tool and see if it finds any probs with your net setup.

If all that fails, then it's time for more drastic steps. Locate and download latest drivers or updates for your MoBo, BIOS, and NIC. If you haven't done so, unistall all network connections (under Network Connections) and all adapter drivers (in the Device Manager). Unistall any network configuring applications like AOL (you don't have to dump your IE or NS.)

Now retart in SAFE mode and install your network card, MoBo, and BIOS updates/drivers (if necessary) and configure your connection. Restart and see what's cookin'.

Hope this helps.

-Grump

Edited by Grumpdaddy1, 25 August 2005 - 09:14 PM.

"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users