Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you use CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

I am considering buying a MAC. For many years I have used the paint program in windows to make simple mechanical drawings. Some times I will take a JPG scan and copy it to paint for illustration purposes. MAC does not have a version of Paint.
( I know Paint is a simple program and some folks poke fun at it but it does what I need.)
I would consider purchasing CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 when I buy the MAC if I can use it for the same purposes as I use Paint
If you use CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 and are also familiar with Paint I would very much value your input.
My question is does CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 do everything Windows Paint does?
I know it does a lot more but does it specifically have the same drawing tools as what I use with Paint?
I thank any and all in advance for your responses
Very Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

Please, try this program first. Its free, and thousands times better than paint - http://www.gimp.org

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi Vaerli
Thanks for your reply. Very nice Anime. My oldest son has attended an Anime convention in Boston for several years now. Your talent with this far exceeds what I could do as art. My needs tend to working sketches for small mechanical parts.
Something like this is an example where I can incorporate a scanned image with the sketch.

Posted Image

I tried going on the GIMP site but it seems to be down at the moment. I looked at a screenshot on wiki and I see it would be a very good tool for the type of art you are doing but I am still not clear if it has the simply drawing tools that I regularly use on paint
Thanks again for your suggestion I will try and look further into Gimp.
Best regards
Nawtheasta

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

From what I see of Windows 7's version of Paint, i'm pretty sure you can get the exact same stuff in GIMP, or maybe if that's not optimal, you can try inkscape, which is another free program, but it does more with drawing.

For one, GIMP is free, and a relatively small download and installation(around 75MB for Macs, around 20MB for Windows). For Macs, it supports the older Leopard, and the newer Snow Leopard.

It can do everything that Paint can do, and much more. You'll just have to get used to where things are.

Gimp can/has-
Crop
Rotate
Scale
Layers (Extremely helpful, and so helpful when you don't want to have to redo things)
Pencil tool
Paths tool
Paintbrush tool
Airbrush tool
Ink tool

I'm know it'll do everything you want, if Paint satisfies all your needs. Its just going to take some time to adjust to where everything is.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users