Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home SP2 is not booting up successfully

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aicarian

aicarian

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

My Windows XP Home SP2 is not booting up. Now when I turn the PC on, it tries to boot Windows, a blue screen flashes up for about 1 second so I cannot read what it says. Then I get the DOS screen which starts:

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Configuration
Start Windows Normally"

When I select anyone of these options and press enter windows boot up starts, then blue screen splash(something written in white color which i can't read out) for 1second and returns back to this screen.

I connected the mobile phone for battery recharge through USB cable to my Laptop prior to this problem and then turn off my Laptop. Also I've removed the battery from the Laptop and was running on AC power.

What should i do now?/? Kindly provide me a solution to this problem. I would be thankful to you ppl.

Regards,
AICARIAN
Thanks & Regards
aicarian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

Remove the hard drive...temporarily attach it as a secondary drive to another system...try running the chkdsk /r command on it.

Then replace and retry.

Louis

#3 aicarian

aicarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:06 AM

Okay,

But how wud i remove the hard drive of my laptop, i mean do i need to connect my laptop to another PC or Laptop thru a cable???
Thanks & Regards
aicarian

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:32 AM

The hard drive and the memory...are the two components of a laptop which are made to provide easy access to the user/owner. Check your owner's manual for details on how to remove such.

Yes, you would have to either use a USB enclosure or a cable or a direct attachment to the motherboard of a desktop...to connect the drive to a different system.

Method depends on systems available and type of hard drive in your laptop.

Laptop manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 aicarian

aicarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

So, Is this some sort of Virus/ Malware attack thru my mobile phone??

I am using HP PAvilion 2002TU laptop
Processor: Genuine Intel ® CPU T1350 @1.86 GHz
Version: X86 Family 6 Model 14 stepping 8
BIOS Version - F.OB

Edited by aicarian, 18 January 2010 - 09:30 AM.

Thanks & Regards
aicarian

#6 aicarian

aicarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

Hi,

I took my laptop to HP service center where the technician told me that my Hard Drive is corrupt now and need to replace it. He ran a Diagnostic test thru a BIOS setup (pressed F10 while windows start up).
Now, F8, F10, F11 are not working while boot up. Now a blue still screen shows an error as follows:

A problem has been detected & windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
If this is the first time you have seen this, STOP error ecreen, restart your computer, if this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any Hardware or Software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware and software manufacturer for any new windows update you might need.

If problem continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable componenets, restart your computer, Press F8 to select Advanced StartUp options & then select safe mode.

Technical information: *** STOP:0x0000007A (0xC03E6158, 0xC0000056, 0xF9856DAD, 0x0277E860)
*** Ntfs.sys- Address F9856DAD base at F9801000, Datestamp 41107eea

Beginning Dump of Physical memory

Is this error really means that i need to replace my SATA Hard Drive or there is a way t recover my laptop in a normal condition. Pls HELP!!
Thanks & Regards
aicarian

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

<>

Well, I'm not about to pretend that I know more about an HP laptop that I have never seen...than a qualified HP technician who has done diagnostic testing.

As for the status of the hard drive...that can be tested by you.

First step is to look at the drive and see who the manufacturer is...HP does not make the hard drives in its systems.

Next step would be to download the appropriate diagnostic...either burn it CD or install it on floppy (depends on the manufacturer)...and run the long diagnostic test on your hard drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

FWIW: Generally speaking...errors that indicate NTFS problems may mean that the NTFS file system is corrupt. The file system is a layer that is installed on the hard drive...so there is a difference between the file system being damaged and the hard drive itself being damaged.

A hard drive which is damaged...is always a risky proposition re future use...while a damaged NTFS file system can be overcome by simply deleting the existing partition/file system...and doing a clean install.

All of which points to a need for running the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive.

The 7A STOP error is very ambiguous in terms of cause, can be many things. But the fact that it points to the NTFS.sys driver indicates (IMO) that there is a high possibility of either a file system or hard drive problem.

Louis

#8 aicarian

aicarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:35 AM

HP pavilion dv2002TU Entertainment PC (launched in 2006)
U r absolutely rite that HP doesn't make HDD. I hav FUjitsu HDD in my HP LAPTOP. I forgot to mention it earlier.

Even i hav a doubt on what HP technician said to me. Even though he asked me to place an order for a new HDD!!!

Edited by aicarian, 20 January 2010 - 05:39 AM.

Thanks & Regards
aicarian

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

The Fujitsu diagnostic is listed (along with instructions for burning the .iso file, etc.) at http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users