Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network + Java

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 agentofdarkness

agentofdarkness

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:50 PM

Hey I'm new to this forum. A teacher of mine has a problem with her router. Whenever she tries to use something that uses java, the INTERNET stops working. Anyone know the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:06 PM

control panel>addremove programs>remove java , and related programs.
go to http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
download the latest java version and install it. likely she has a corrupt java program.BTW, does she use firefox, i have found issues with it and certain java applets.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:26 AM

Snapper could go into detail. I am having problems with intermittant lose of service with my cable modem. Loose it for a few minutes them it recovers.

Edited by acklan, 26 August 2005 - 09:27 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:18 PM

agent, did you understand how to do it? or do you need me to elaborate more?
let me know

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:46 PM

Acklan, even if snapper did go into more detail, the information that he is giving isn't necessarily relevant to your problem. You are having a propblem with a modem. The initial poster is having a proplem with a router. There may be some common issues (bad cord, etc), but they are very different pieces of equipment.

All he was suggesting at this phase was to reinstall Java. That is an option, but also ignores the fact that the browser may not be allowed to run Java, which would sometimes make the browser appear to hang. The description of the problem is way too vague to even try to troubleshoot the issue though. What does "use anything Java".. do they mean JavaScript? What Java Applications or websites are causing problems.

An intermittent loss of signal to your cable modem is an issue for your ISP. You are probably getting some kind of line interference that temporarily drops the system. Call your ISP and ask them to troubleshoot your line. I had a problem awhile back where one of the coax connectors was grounding itself due to a poor splice. As soon as they added a new connector, it worked perfectly. And since it turned out that it was one of their connectors, it didn't cost me a dime. :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:39 PM

I understand. Thanks for the reply. I have had my ISP working on it for several weeks know and I guess I was grasping at straws (even though I did not think that was th problem).They have replaced from the modem to the trunk at the pole. I also would like to understand the reson why these things happen. Sorry if I came off course. That was not my intention.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:49 PM

I didn't think you were being rude at all, I was just trying to explain that your issue was different. :)It sounds like your ISP is grasping at straws too. When they came and fixed mune, the tech had a meter that he inserted in at different splices, and it was only a matter of minutes before he had the section causing the problem isolated. It also tells me that your ISP is aware that you are not gettinga ll of the signal that you are suposed to be, or they wouldn't just be replacing lines.

Do you have an add in ethernet card, or are you using one built in to the motherboard?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for the help. I am running 12 Dell GX1 with the org. onboard RJ-45 port, Linksys NR401 router, 3Com SS II switch, and a HP NetServer LC3 with a 3Com 3C905b-tx card. All of my computers are static IP with the router set to DHCP. I suspect either the modem is bad (which is also their puppy) or some point on the pole out. I pinged 6 sites at once with the -t switch for 30 mins with only a packet loss every few hundred. The intermittant outage would still happen even though I had almost no packet loss. I tried several sites while I was pinging. This has been going on for about 2 weeks.

ping -t yahoo.com

To stop Ctrl C

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:25 AM

I think there is 2 different issues and 2 different people here we are talking about groovicus. i wouldnt diagnose intermittant internet issues with java problem, unless it was java related which was specified on the first question of this thread, not the second, please scroll up.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:19 AM

You are having a propblem with a modem. The initial poster is having a proplem with a router. There may be some common issues (bad cord, etc), but they are very different pieces of equipment.

Isn't that what I said?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users