Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Programs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

First I have had 7 Home Premium for about a week now so I will be having a lot of questions. Is there a way of finding out if a old program (M/S Works 2000) will work on my system before loading the C/D?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

Older programs may not be able to run on 7...but if your system has the capability you may be able to use XP Mode to run them through 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for getting back OldGrumpyBastard. Unable to go to XP with 7 home premium. I should of got 7 PRO.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

This same issue was discussed here, and might provide some insight into your other options. :huh:

But, there is no way to know if the program will run correctly inside 7 until you try it.

Best of luck,
keyboardNinja
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

I am running Ultimate and if i right click an installed Program and go to properties, i am able to run in compatability mode with any previous Microsoft Os's

longtooth

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

If I load M/S Works 200 and it won't work will it hurt any thing or will M/S 7 just tell me no go.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

Microsoft Office 2000 isn't compatible, so Works 2000 may not be either.

As far as I know, it shouldn't hurt anything to try to install it.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

It shouldn't mess anything up if the installation fails. You just simply would not be able to install the program.

When you say M/S Works 2000, I'm assuming you mean Microsoft Works 2000 (the office software: Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database, Calendar)? If that's what you are trying to install, version 9.0 is out and is fully compatible with Windows 7. No need to try to install an old version.

I thought every Windows installation came with Works pre-installed, but apparently that is not the case. My Dell came with a Works disk along with other software (I can install it as needed). But apparently Microsoft wants you to buy it if you don't already have it.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/default.mspx

I thought it was free, but I guess I was wrong.

So, if the 2000 version doesn't work, I guess you'll have to buy it or find another program.

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

FWIW,

That is why a lot of the people that come here with computer problems get confused. Big Box Companies like Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony et al... sell the computer with whatever operating system along with (for the lack of a better word bloatware) MS Office suites, Norton, McAffee and other products most of which are trial versions that have to be re-activated a few months after purchase. Many of them just get rid of the extra programs and then when they come here for assistance and are asked if they have installation CD's they get really mixed up confusing recovery media with retail media.

Windows installation CD's (prior to Vista) came with just the essentials...Internet Explorer, Outlook, Paint, Note Pad, and Word...If you needed heavier applications such as Excell, Word Perfect, Front Page and what not you had the option to either purchase them one by one or purchase them in a Suite but they most definately weren't free. Some large computer companies may have included some of these items when you purchased your computer but you paid for them on the front end or back end (if you look at it this way)...That is why Vista failed so badly...A lot of the programs that people purchased during the 95,98,2000,and XP days just didn't work well in Vista...That is why everyone was so excited about Windows 7 as it had the option to use older programs in XP Mode if your computer had the capabilities....Unfortunately, some of us are finding out that our systems (while not being particularily ancient) do not have the hardware capabilities to run XP Mode as it is set up in a Virtual Environment and mine for one won't support that...So like Layback and others we have to take our old programs load them up and prey that they work....Some will...Some won't (for those we will just have to put them aside and hope that Microsoft Developers can come up with driver packages that will allow them to work in Windows 7)...Enough rambling...Enjoy the show!!!
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Open Office is free and works with Windows 7 http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.1/

I believe it comes with a toolbar that is pre-checked, so you will want to uncheck the box before installation.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

I thank you all for your replies. I have had sense 2000 bought and paid for works 2000. The only thing I use it for is writing long things like books. If there is some thing out there that I need to buy I will do so. One the the reason I'm here is to get help on what to buy. There is always a lot of input from members. I read them all and answer some. If there is a program out there that I can buy to allow me to wright things that are very long that I can buy safely I would like to know. Yes I have Google and have found lots of things but they sound like CON games. I have no problem with a free program from a safe site that states Windows 7 is okay. Once again I thank you all for your inputs.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Once again thanks to all. I loaded Works 2000 and it seams to be working just fine.

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

Awesome! :huh:

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

Well I thought I would keep you folds up to date on my search for a program. I have removed Works 2000 and installed Jarte for W7 and it seems to work flawlessly. If anything changes I will be back. It's free from Jarte site.

#15 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Take a look at http://www.openoffice.org. You may be surprisingly impressed with the outfit. It's a very refined software suite and should be only downloaded from the official OO.o website. It's documents are cross compatible with all of the mainstream suites that are used in schools and offices today.

EDIT: Oops, I see I made a redundant post. Sorry.

Edited by RknRusty, 13 February 2010 - 07:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users