Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On the fly process

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

Please only answer this if you have advanced IT knowledge, thank you. Hi I have 7 32bit, which i have been using since the BETA release. I have had no problems with it so far but the last couple of days i changed HD's and reinstalled the RC. All was fine until yesterday when i powered up and domnloded all the updates.

Now when i power up there is an on the fly process eating up 25% of my Intel Centrino Duo (Not found in the Task manager processes) At first i thought it was Norton, which i hate with a passion, so i installed AVG and uninstalled Norton. There is still a componant left, live update that it won't let me remove from add and remove, so uninstalled it manually fron the C:/ drive.

I have a 180 GB HD and had 100 left this morning. When i powered up earlier off went the on the fly for about 15 minutes. When i checked the HD i had 1 GB left mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!, I deleted system restore points and turned it off and back on which restored my 90 GB.

Windows seems to be doing things i havn't asked it to do!!!!!!! Could this be a Mal?? Thanks in advance for any advice, this has me beat and frustrated as i'm loosing a quater of my CPU...

Peter.

longtooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanrB

DanrB

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

You just installed windows 7 so it probably just windows search working, it will do so until complete and only when the system is idle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Search

Downloading/Installing updates probably just gave it more to do.

When i checked the HD i had 1 GB left

That's is odd yea and could be dependent on how much space is used to start with, how much data you through on it right off the bat, and how much space it needed to use for indexing?

You can disable it if you wish, myself I allow it to complete the process. It doesn't take very long, depending on the over all speed of the system, and the hard drive/s in it.

#3 longtooth

longtooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

I'm sorry Dan, i don't think you read my first post properly, i installed 7 and updated two days ago, indexing and updates should be fully established by this time as PC was left on fro 24 hours specifically for this reason, i reiterate everything was ok untill this morning. Restore is set to only use 600mb so the question is why did it decide to alocate and use 90 GB, that is a serious amount disc space.

longtooth

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

.... so i installed AVG .... When i checked the HD i had 1 GB left ....

Just out of curiosity, check the size of the AVG folder, in your Application Data folder.
Sometimes AVG will start keeping all of the dump files, and starts eating up harddrive space.
The problem has been mentioned in the AVG forums, and I experienced the same thing on my niece's computer.

The AVG forum fix seems to be, posting about the problem, then waiting for AVG to contact you.
Others on the net have just deleted them with no problems, but they don't mention if this is a recurring problem.

My fix, remove AVG, install Avira. :huh:

Just something to check out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 DanrB

DanrB

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

Yea I read it Ok, just a thought based on what you did state.

i reiterate everything was ok untill this morning.

Adding data to the drive or connecting additional drives starts the process again, no you didn't state you had but again it was just a thought.

Very unlikely you got a virus so quick, not just allowing updates so it sounded like a more likely cause.

90gb is is a serious amount disc space regardless of what it was doing and is likely an error in the process itself.

I can't say if search indexing shows up in the tc, I gotta say I don't recall ever bothering to look. I would think it would and does yea but you gotta remember you are using a beta release RC or not and it may not function correctly every time without fail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users