Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot past Welcome Screen Loop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 n8yp

n8yp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:20 AM

Hi,

I was loading a game on my computer, purchased legally from Wal-Mart. I say this because searching the net seeing if this has happened to others, I found that the illegal shared version on the download sites has had a virus in it, but mine was loaded from a legitimate copy from a store. After loading the additional software needed to play online, my McAfee told me there was a virus. It was Internet Security 2010, and after searching I found this to be Malware. I had just used the forum to remove the Unique8 virus from the laptop, and liked the Malwarebytes program. I couldn't get that to load, every time it would hijack the .exe file. I tried running the Rkill program with all four variations to no avail. Then I ran SuperAnti-Spyware and that actually loaded. It told me the virus was removed and needed to reboot. After the reboot, the Welcome screen would load and that is where it would stop. I didn't have that as part of the boot process and when you click the Administrator tab, my screen loads the walpaper picture, but then goes back to Welcome.

I tried starting in Safe Mode, but could not get it to boot that way. Also, I tried to use my Gateway disc to just restore the computer and that would not work either. That is my only XP disc, the one that Gateway sent to restore the computer, I don't have an actual XP only disc.

The computer is a Gateway, I had just restored it after installing a new DVD drive. It should have been upgraded to SP3.

Thank you for any assistance that can be offered,

Jeremy

Edited by Pandy, 17 January 2010 - 12:47 PM.
MOved from Win XP Home and Pro ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users