Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Services - The Descriptions Have Vanished

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LizzieUK

LizzieUK

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:25 AM

Hello everybody.

I was looking at the windows services, inside the Administrative Tools and I noticed that none of the services have a description anymore. I'm wondering if anybody had encountered this problem before and if there's a way to restore the descriptions? The column itself is there but it doesn't contain any of the information. I've checked - view>add/remove columns and view>customize but that didn't help as the options are pretty limited. All I can find through Google are problems relating to one particular service missing but nothing about every description missing.

If anybody knows how to fix this, I'd be very grateful.

Elizabeth

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.
But it was just one day and a very long time ago.

Elizabeth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

You say you have the column headed 'description':

Are all 5 headings in the 'Displayed Columns' list?

What happens when you click on the 'restore defaults' tab on that screen.

Have you selected:

View / detail

Customise / Customise view - check all boxes.

Edited by petewills , 17 January 2010 - 08:29 AM.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

I have seen where nothing displays in the Services window Standard view, but Extended is okay (the two tabs at the bottom of the Services window) and that can be fixed by re registering the jscript.dll.

It will not hurt anything to register the DLL again, so click Start, Run and in the box enter:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

Click OK and you should see a message indicating success.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

Thank you for your help.

Trust me to have a description column without any descriptions in it.

I am looking at the services with the 'detail view' and 5 columns are displayed. I can't find a 'restore defaults' tab but I have tried the 'refresh' tab and checking all boxes in the 'customize' view. The standard and extended view both show the description column without any information in it. I've just tried Start, Run > regsvr32 jscript.dll and I got a message saying it had succeeded. I even restarted my computer but when I went back to the services, the description column was still empty.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Elizabeth

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.

Elizabeth

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

In view / add/remove columns, you should get the list of Available and Displayed columns;

on the right hand side of the list it should say:

Move up
Move down
Restore defaults.

Is this the case?

#6 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

In add/remove columns the Available columns is empty and the Displayed columns has Name, Description, Status, Startup Type and Log On As. I've tried moving things around then clicking Restore Defaults but the services description column remains empty.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

I am taking a guess here is what you may be asking about is component services:

Start>CP>Perf&Maint>AdminTools>Component Services...

Attached Files

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Try running sfc /scannow command?

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#9 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

Yes Mr OldGrumpyBastard,

that's the services I'm having the problem with. (sorry for not explaining myself very well).

I shall run sfc /scannow as soon as I get a chance tomorrow and I'll let you know the result.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

#10 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

Wasn't that fun!!!

After spending the best part of an hour looking at the message, 'Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-Rom now' as I'm screaming, "It's in there, look there it is" I eventually got sfc /scannow to run and would you believe it, the descriptions for the services are back.

So a big pat on the back to Hamluis for suggesting the idea to me. It worked and I'm happy again.

Thank you

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

That is good.

If you have the time would you please help me understand what sfc /scannow found and fixed? I would like to recreate the issue and understand the solution for the future.

If you look in the Event Viewer System log, perhaps there is an entry that looks like this one:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: 64002
Description:
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file c:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system file is 7.0.6000.16945.

Here is a generic method to post the specific information about individual events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System. Some logs may be almost or completely empty.
Not every event is a problem, some are informational messages that things are working okay and some are warnings.
No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time. Errors will have red Xs, Warnings will have yellow !s.
Information messages have white is. Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue.
Some are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting. Try to find just the events at the date
and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with more information. On the right are
black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like
two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button
under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste
or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

Edited by joseibarra, 18 January 2010 - 10:19 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#13 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

Hello Joseibarra

I'm not sure my events will be of any use to you as I couldn't get sfc /scannow to run. I had to copy the I386 folder from the CD to my C: drive and modify the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
to change 'SourcePath' from 'E' to 'C'
It then ran without any problems but also didn't leave any events to say what it copied from C:\I386.

These are my events regarding sfc /scannow. (I had more but they're just the same events repeated as I kept trying the CD)

Event Source: Application Popup
Event ID: 26
Date: 18/01/2010
Time: 11:56:29
User: N/A
Computer: MRC
Description:
Application popup: Windows File Protection : Possible reasons for this problem:
You have inserted the wrong CD. (i.e., a different Windows product CD than the version installed)
The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 64016
Time: 11:56:46
Description:
Windows File Protection file scan was started.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 64021
Time: 11:57:26
Description:
The system file c:\windows\system32\iisreset.exe could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.
]. This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

Time: 11:57:30
Description:
The system file c:\windows\system32\iisrstap.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.

Time: 11:59:30
Description:
The system file c:\windows\system32\s3legacy.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users