Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer management convert to dynanic disc - Undo it????

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geniesolver

geniesolver

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:30 AM

Hi O wiser ones than me!

I have made a terrible mistake! I went into administrative tools, changed my slave drive to a dynamic disk. That, as i now know, unmounted it. When I changed it back - "This drive is not formatted - do you want to format it now?"

NO! NO! Noooo! All my work, all my music, all my projects - every document, everything, is on my 120gslave drive.

is there ANYTHING i can do to access the contents of the drive so that I can transfer it to my main drive - or so that it can stay where it is.

It is/was formatted as Basic Partition NTFS. I use Windows WP SP3.

The reason I did it in the first place was my slave drive has a glitch that sometimes causes my pc to reboot - at least 2X per day. There is no virus, the fault is with the drive, which I got corrupted but with no bad sectors. I was trying something new to sort out a problem that would be better addressed by getting another SATA hard drive.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing - and this tragedy was self-inflicted, unknowing. I am gutted!

Is there anything I can do to be able to retrieve my work? Can it be done....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

I don't think so, Working with Basic and Dynamic Disks - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726994.aspx.

Louis

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Converting to Dynamic disks is a one way process. Going from basic to dynamic is fairly safe but a back up is still recommended. Going from dynamic to basic is a destructive process. When you changed back to a basic disk you lost everything on the drive there is no way to recover it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Crowbar

Crowbar

• Security Colleague
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

You can always try a "forensic" data recovery service as a last resort. I recently tried to help a friend that really screwed up his xp installation. He had YEARS of data on his disk, and lost it ALL. I took his disk and contacted these guys: http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com

They did a good job recovering most of his data, BUT it cost him well over $1000. They will look at the disk for around $65 and give you a very complete report on the files that are recoverable (if they are).

Another point is that most of his data was not organized into folders after the recovery, they were organized by file type. It's gonna take him months to put it all back into an organized state, but at least he has most of it back.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users