Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze on startup, Redirected google searches, and Breakpoint exception error messages

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 z9dragon

z9dragon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:04 AM

Hello, awhile ago my pc was infected with a virus masquerading as an anti virus program (windows defender I think, I've run malwarebytes anti-malware to get rid of that particular problem). While it was still on my computer it seemed to download some other program or programs which have not gone away and they're causing some serious problems. so far the symptoms are that around 75% of the time, my computer will freeze during startup, and when it does startup I get many messages saying things like " a breakpoint exception has been reached", and "google updater/internet explorer/adobe flash player has encountered a problem and must shutdown". I also am unable to start many programs which worked fine before I got this virus, such as AVG scanner (the main part of AVG works fine, but when I hit scan, nothing happens) Google updater uninstaller (I tried to re-install it when I noticed the error message but it wouldn't start) and probably most important, Malware bytes Anti-malware (this is what I was using to try to get rid of it). I also am unable to perform google searches without being redirected when I click the link. My computer is also just slower in general, and makes lots of noise like its thinking, even when im not doing anything.

The things I tried have done so far to get rid of this virus are

1. I ran Malware bytes anti malware program, (I had to download a randomly named file to get it to work)
This was back when I still had Windows Defender running, and this is what got rid of it, I didn't realize that the computer was still infected till a day later.

2. tried running the avenger program to get rid of the UACD.sys file, which I thought I had at first
:: http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/01/24/ho...uacdsys-trojan/ ::

3. I ran AVG scanner in safe mode, I'm not sure how well this worked since I had to leave my computer (it was taking hours to scan) and when I came back later the scanner had closed, but there was no message or log telling my if it removed anything, and since it was the safe mode version, there was no way to look at the scan history.

Before I leave, I should probably tell you that I'm running Windows XP Media center edition 2002. and using AVG antivirus free, Comodo firewall and safesurf (both free versions) and Malwarebytes anti-malware. I also have trouble using the internet on that computer , when I try to visit some websites like yahoo, it works fine, but when i try to visit this website and other ones, It says that the links are broken (I'm writing this on my laptop). this has only happened once, but both my desktop (the infected one) and my laptop are using the same internet, and the laptop could go to this site, even when the desktop couldn't (I tried them at the same time).

I'm really hoping that you can help me, and I'm sorry that this post is so long, but my computer has been infected for over a week, and I just needed to vent a little :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 z9dragon

z9dragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Since I posted last, I have resolved the issue. Please remove this post if you want. thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users