Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Defense

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Pacs

Pacs

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

Hey gang. I'm working on a friends computer that had some infections on it. I thought I did a pretty thorough job on removing the infections using Malwarebytes and other tools, but when I tried to reinstall AVG I got a message saying that I should uninstall the software listed. The only program on that list was Malware Defender, obviously I assumed I removed it. There is no record of it on the Add/Remove programs sheet. I did follow the guide listed on this site to preform the removal of Malware Defender, but when I run rkill.com it looks as if the program gets terminated before it can finish. The desktop flashes and the start menu bar disapears, as if someone did an end-task on explorer.exe.

Malwarebytes runs, updates, and all that good stuff but it is not picking up on any new threats. I fear I might have a root kit. Internet surfing is working fine, and I'm not seeing any pop ups on the machine at the moment. I'm looking for help and this seems to be the place to be. Now if somone could direct me towards the next step?:thumbsup:

Thanks!
Pacs

Oh and a quick edit. When I recieved the machine it was FAAAARRRRR out of date on Windows Update. This could have been the culprit of infection. Once I was able to gain internet access on the machine I did run the updates, so the machine should be currently up to date. Running Windows XP SP3.

Edited by Pacs, 17 January 2010 - 01:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users