Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Defense 'ransom' program help, please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 KeriT

KeriT

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

I was visiting a website I'd never visited before (didn't download anything), and started getting pop ups titled 'security center alert' and such...look like they're from Windows. I've done some reading and apparently this is a fake thing that is trying to convince me I'm infected when really I'm not? I haven't downloaded any programs or fixes, and I have read a few threads about thisproblem on this forum and others, but it seems like the people who are posting with the problem are more savvy than I am, and I would so appreciate some help that is a little more down on my level :thumbsup: I do have internet connection, I'm not having any trouble with freezing or anything like that, only the pop-ups.

The only things I've done so far are reboot, and I may have also clicked on the red X on one of the 'bad' pop up windows to close it at first. I am currently running a McAfee scan. I have it through my employer and they've told me I can't run any other anti-virus or spyware programs with it, so that's all I have. I never use it (McAfee) at all, so I'm not really sure what to do with it once it's done, but it is about halfway through, and so far has deleted some cookies.

I don't know if this matters or not, but the things this program is telling me I am infected with are:

Virus Chin09.win
backdoor.win32.kbot.al
trojan.win.Agent.dcc
Virus.win32.gpcode.ak

Thank you SO much for your help...I really appreciate that people like you are available to people like me :flowers:

Edited by KeriT, 16 January 2010 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

Look Familiar:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...malware-defense

If you are uncertain on following this guide for removal I suggest that you open up a new post here for expert advice:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hello,

I'm moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum for you.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 KeriT

KeriT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

Thank you,
I will print out the link from OGB and do my best, although I am a bit nervous about screwing something up. For what it's worth, McAfee is done, and it only found cookies. Off I go....

#5 KeriT

KeriT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

I did it! Thanks so much. There were a couple places in the directions that were confusing for me, but I am good to go now. I appreciate your time :thumbsup:

#6 KeriT

KeriT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:03 AM

too good to be true, I suppose. Should I start a new topic, and if so, where please?

My computer is now running dreadfully slowly and some idiosyncratic little things are happening. For example, in my yahoo email page, the place where my avatar usually is keeps showing me a red X. Also in my yahoo email, I can't see photos people have emailed to me.I am also unable to log on to my work system. I will deal with my IT guys tomorrow on that issue. Anyway...my main problem like I said is the new slowness since I fixed the above problem. What do I do now? Thank you again.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/288548/removed-malware-defense-still-having-problems/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users