Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 odb701

odb701

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

I am considering replacing the video card in my desktop. The computer is a Dell and is just over 1 yr old. The warranty ended in April of this year. The current card is a Nvidia FX 5200. I would like to replace it with one of the newer cards. Maybe a 256Mb card. Is it worth the upgrade? Would like to play some of the newer games requiring the higher end video cards. If it's worth replacing I would like some recommendations. I'm currently running windows XP home and 256 Mb of ram with a 120 Gb hard drive. Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

Hey, Iv got a Nvidia FX 5200 and its just fine for all these new games. If I were you id just upgrade your ram 256mb just doesn't cut it nowadays, plus its cheaper. but make sure you get the right kind!

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:17 PM

gpu has more to do with your shaders and fps than memory on a vid. 5200 is an entry level card for some of the higher end gamers. if you want a decent card, check out the 6600gt, or even 6800ultra, they come in pci-express and agp versions. i have a 6600gt pci-x 128m card, it runs anything i want, and i do a bit of gaming. good lucj choosing
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:54 AM

I would say be somewhat careful on what card to buy.

I have a dell dimensions 4550 (around 3 years old) and nothing would happen after I put in a Radeon x800 pro. There was also no real response from dell about that issue and many others had that problem. Now, I own a 6800 gt, took the x800 pro back and got the 6800 gt and all has bee good, exept for the bottleneck (2.4 ghz p4 and 4x agp)

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

you shall notice a great difference in your vid now bro!
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users