Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Linux Beside Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oakley

Oakley

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hello,

I am pretty new to the Linux world but even though I only know a little bit I am in love!
Anyways let me get to my point.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop but I am wanting to install another OS right beside Windows 7 so when the laptop boots up I can choose either operating system.
How would I go about doing this, I have Ubuntu 9.04 on disc but I am really liking Kubuntu 9.10 which I am downloading to Laptop right now.

So how can I go about running two OS on the same hard drive.
Also I am using a wireless router to get internet to my laptop, I can still use that with linux correct?

Shelby,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

It is called "dual booting"---Windows 7 and Kubuntu.
Below are two links. The first is for Kubuntu's site's FAQ. The second is instructions
for installing Kubuntu. Read the entire install procedure before proceeding. Note to backup and
defrag Windows before installing Kubuntu.
If you had no problem with 9.04 using wireless then you should be OK with 9.10. You should
run as a LIVE CD first to see what if any problems you have. It's slower than installing but
well worth the time.
http://www.kubuntu.org/faq
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

If you post back, what was the download time? Just curious.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Oakley

Oakley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

It is called "dual booting"---Windows 7 and Kubuntu.
Below are two links. The first is for Kubuntu's site's FAQ. The second is instructions
for installing Kubuntu. Read the entire install procedure before proceeding. Note to backup and
defrag Windows before installing Kubuntu.
If you had no problem with 9.04 using wireless then you should be OK with 9.10. You should
run as a LIVE CD first to see what if any problems you have. It's slower than installing but
well worth the time.
http://www.kubuntu.org/faq
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

If you post back, what was the download time? Just curious.

Thank you,

I am researching different linux OS to decided which one is right for me but most likely be Ubuntu or Kubuntu.
For me to download the Kubuntu 9.10 on my laptop it took 38 minutes.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

Great speed! Thanks.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 sudo rm -rf /

sudo rm -rf /

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

Just running the LIVEcd will generally do most the work for you. When you install kubuntu (assuming you have only 1 harddrive, like most laptops) you'll likely select the option to shrink the windows partition.

Not difficult to do at all. I even believe grub automatically puts in the boot information for windows now during the install.

#6 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

I have Windows 7 and Puppy Linux on two laptops. How To

Be absolutely certain you defrag WIN7 before you install Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users