Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Mother Board?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 colituse

colituse

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

My Notebook: Lenovo 3000 N100
Type: 0689-A6U
Processor: Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz
Installed Memory: 1 GB (DDR2 SDRAM)
Hard Drive: 80 GB SATA II, 5400 RPM
Display: 14.1 in. WXGA TFT Active Matrix

Suspected Problem: I think my mother board is bad.

What’s happens:
I start the computer and the first thing to appear is the Lenovo screen.

Then the next screen to pop up is the
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart

So I made a NTLDR boot CD for XP, and I set my BIOS to boot from the CD.I put the CD in and the screen was blank, you can hear the CD starts to run. It continues for a while and then the same message is displayed.

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart

So I restart the computer and then pressed the Lenovo Care button, it brings up a message that say ThinkVantage Technologies and has a loading bar underneath it. The loading bar finishes and the message changes into Please Wait, while still displaying the loading bar. The computer will now stay there with that message “Please Wait” indefinitely.

The hard drive is still working because I put it into a mini external drive that I had, and connected to a different computer to save all my files. So the next thing I tried was, I have a rescue and recovery CD for my computer and I placed it into the CD drive. Started the computer and you hear the CD spinning for a minute with a blank screen and it stops spinning and the “NTLDR is missing” message pops up again.

Then I downloaded a copy of ubuntu Linux 9.10, I placed it into the laptop and started it. The options came up for how to run ubuntu, I choose to run ubuntu without changes to any files on my computer. It then displayed a blinking underscore at the top left hand side of my screen; it stayed this way the entire time. My philosophy with this was if the computer ran ubuntu live then my hard drive or hard drive partition is bad. If it didn’t then it must be my mother board or some other hardware problem. I also switched out my ram to see if this might be the problem with no success. There are no beep codes when I turn the machine on ether.

So should I replace my motherboard? I’m not sure how to tell if a processor has gone bad. Also I haven’t found anyone one with the same problem online, and have taken the laptop to a repair shop. They said they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

Welcome to the Bleepingcomputer Internal Hardware Forum!
Just a suggestion. Dont take it to that repair shop again!
Heres a solution:
If you have the operating systen installation disk, I would use fdisk off of a win98 or winME floppy boot disk and delete the partitions.
Then format the drive.
Then put in the windows XP cdrom.
Enter your BIOS (either F2 or DELETE key) it should say system setup and show you which key to hit.
Look for your BOOT option. choose your CDROM that contains the Windows XP disk as the first device.
Hit F10 and choose SAVE and EXIT
Boot from the CDROM and tell it to format and install Windows XP on one partition.
Make sure you have the windows Key handy.
Hopefully everything will be like new again.
If not post back to this thread.

Good luck!

EDIT: If you have a SYSTEM DISK that came with the notebook it may have a repair option on it as well as your Operating Sysytem, make sure you check its directories before using fdisk from a floppy as I suggested above.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 January 2010 - 09:22 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

I'm posting the link just in case you haven't seen it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728
It wouldn't be the motherboard per se, but the BIOS chip could be damaged
It's been awhile since I had a laptop apart
Most newer motherboards for desktops have a removable chip that sits in a socket. Because of size constraints a laptop might not
You can remove it have have it flashed for 20 bucks

Edited by garmanma, 16 January 2010 - 10:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 colituse

colituse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

Alright so there is only one partition and I got a XP pro CD and started the computer. It ran the bios setup for windows (blue screen with white txt), and then it gave me the option to format my drive. It finished formatting, and then at the bottom left hand side of the screen it said “starting windows”. It froze on this screen (still in the bios setup) before starting windows.

So since this didn’t work, I took the hard drive out of a laptop running vista to see if it would boot. Turned the computer on and the vista loading screen started, it then froze on this screen before starting windows.

no luck

I purchased a new hard drive and placed into my laptop. Then I ran the XP install disk and it still froze when it went to start windows.

Edited by colituse, 18 January 2010 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users