Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many glitches, printer, memory, camera card dock not working right

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pekingese727

pekingese727

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

I had originally posted about removal of malware/spyware in that forum, but they feel whatever was on my system has been removed and as of now is clean. (and it did find quite a few items that i removed)
But I'm still having other issues so it was recommended I post here, hope I'm in the right place.

About the time I got into somewhere that i picked up some spyware and malware, my computer started having other issues.
It started telling me it is in use and locked when it isn't. Fortunately there is no password set up so I can click okay without entering anything, and get to my desktop, but to get to my husbands I have to reboot the computer and it will allow access without the box popping up.
When I try and run my msn messenger it tells me there's been an error this or that and I've had to reinstall it twice in the last few weeks and it's doing it again.
I'm also occasionally getting insufficent memory to complete whatever it is I want to do at the time, run firefox, or print, or start yahoo messenger or a virus scan or whatever. So again, once re-booted it's okay.
My friend gave me her old camera and she did not have the installation cd to lift the pictures to my hard drive that way so she also gave me her photo card dock that plugs in and I've been using it and it's been just fine, but now it will not perform certain functions that it always has.
My printer when I try and run it, is telling me it has the wrong cartridges but it does not.
And lastly my hard drive as it's performing this or that function, is making like...static or grinding/growling noises as it works sometimes. Which I have encountered now and then with all machines, but the frequency has increased quite a bit.
The thing is, this does not SEEM to have any rhyme or reason as to why and when it's acting up with whatever function I'm decides to act up. I go days without hearing much from the hard drive but other times it's really noticable, and today it tried to lock me out again but hasn't done that for about 2 weeks. My printer was fine last night when i used it, but a week ago told me repeatedly it had the wrong cartridges but would print when I clicked to ignore.
Any idea what's wrong? As I warned in the other thread...lol...i'm pretty computer illiterate...so please make it pretty easy for me to understand what i need to do.
And i'm running the home version of windows xp on a rebuilt computer i got from a local shop a couple years ago.
Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

Welcome to the bleepingcomputer internal hardware forums section!

I have a feeling the malware damaged your system.
The grinding noises you are hearing is your hard drives way of telling you it is about to fail.
As it starts to fail, it starts corrupting what data is on it and it will only get worse.
It is best to start moving your most treasured files to another hard drive or flash drive ASAP. Don't wait. check disk can not stop a drives mechanics from failing.
The trouble with having trojan downloaders is there's no telling what actual damage has been done to the hardware its self.
From now on always do a backup of your system image to another drive which is only to be connected for adding a new backup, but disabled or removed the rest of the time.
A back up can restore your whole system, even to a new hard drive if the origional one fails.

Wish I had better news to give, but hard drives do fail over time.

Good luck!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 January 2010 - 08:33 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 pekingese727

pekingese727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

Ugh! I had a feeling that was what was going on!!!
When all of this started, i scanned all my files/pics/music/programs etc, several times with several scanners and then i burned them all to dvds to save it as i didn't have a flashdrive...none of my files showed anything "bad"...so is it safe to reinstall my burned files on a new computer if/when this one crashes without infecting the new pc?
Thanks...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

so is it safe to reinstall my burned files on a new computer if/when this one crashes without infecting the new pc?

Yes, m0le gave you a clean bill of health as far as that goes

Does your hard drive sound like any of these noises?
http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 pekingese727

pekingese727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

I listened to those sounds and no, not anything quite like that. You know when you download a pic or are getting into a page with a lot of graphics, the computer is working harder and it makes that lil grinding/grating noise as it works. Almost like, well...lol...like a mechanical clearing of the throat is what it kind of reminds me of. I think this is a normal sound, it just seems like it's doing it more and more than it used to.
But no idea on the glitches either with everything. My cd rom drive takes several pushes of the button to open as well, but it has been doing that LONG before these other issues.
I also have two hard drives on here, C is my main system that i operate with and E is my backup for storage but i'm unsure if i have two physical drives or if C has been split to make another storage area? Is there any way to tell other than taking the cover off, because being as computer illiterate as I am, i'm not sure i would even know by looking. :thumbsup: I've never even seen the inside of my computer because i wouldn't know what to do with it if i did... :flowers: Sorry to be so stupid...it's just not something i'm familiar with!

#6 pekingese727

pekingese727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

Just wanted to say, i looked up how to run a chkdsk and did so, and it says it's fine...and when i go into properties and look at each drive, everything says it's functioning correctly.
Am i paranoid?
If so, i know i'm not paranoid enough that i'm imagining the glitches on here lol
Anywhere I can go online and scan this thing to see if it finds something wrong with it that is hardware related?
Thank you guys for all your help! I appreciate it so much!

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

I've never even seen the inside of my computer because i wouldn't know what to do with it if i did..

How old is this computer? Do you keep it on the desk, or the floor next to the desk?
You computer could possibly be overheating. Read this article, to gather up some confidence

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 pekingese727

pekingese727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

Let's see...like i said, it's a built one, not a purchased out of the box one, and i'm assuming the internal parts were new or at least in good condition when we got it, and hubby bought it for me i think it was 3 years ago this Christmas?
It has a little cubby in my computer desk where it sits, but the back of the cubby is open to allow airflow. Although i bet it's pretty dirty after looking at the link as i've never cleaned it. Ever. :thumbsup:
However, a year and a half ago or so i did manage to crash my hard drive because i wasn't brave enough to try and fix anything myself (didn't realize most all i had to do was get scanners for mal/spyware) and only was using AVG...I didn't know how bad it was, a glitch here, a glitch there, and then suddenly in a matter of days it went downhill in a hurry and then wouldn't boot. The tech BARELY saved my files and then he replaced the hard drive. As pitiful as I am, i'm brilliant compared to what I was a year ago when it comes to my pc. lol

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

Glad to hear that you do do backups!
I know some hard drives do make some noises from time to time when the heads "servo mech." moves the heads about the disk.
Didn't mean to scare you there.
Make sure you run disk defragger as well, saves alot of ware and tear on the heads.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 pekingese727

pekingese727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

Sorry, haven't had time to reply...and ask...so does anyone know what IS going on and why i'm getting all the glitches i'm getting with my system, the printer cartridges, photo card dock, lack of memory etc etc? Would it be anything other than overheating?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Well...the system just might need a clean install...hard to say what damage may have been done by malware.

You report a multiplicity of problems that could be from various things...a clean install would at least provide elimination of the O/S as a suspect and allow focus on potential hardware and/or overheating issues.

Just the way I look at things...

Louis

#12 pekingese727

pekingese727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

Clean install? As in reinstalling xp? Well, i thought about that, problem is, i don't even have an xp disk to reformat with. It was on the system when i bought it and he didnt give me a copy of it when i bought the refurbished pc. :thumbsup:

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

Is there a disk that came with it that says REPAIR? or anything of the sort? It could be on a floppy disk or a CDROM.
Your O/S might be on a hidden partion on the hard drive and a special disk is needed to access the files to rebuild your O/S.
If Not, and it was a used system. I suggest you buy your own copy of either XP, Vista or Windows 7 and start fresh.

#14 pekingese727

pekingese727
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:18 AM

No, he gave me no disks when i purchased the refurbished pc...just the tower and monitor...nothing else. Although depending on the going rate of an xp disk, i do have something of a lifetime percentage off for repair on the computer for certain issues, it might be less expensive to take it in and let them look at it depending on what is under warranty, i had just hoped to fix it myself as i help a friend with their business online and can't afford to be without a pc for a week or longer til they figure it out. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users