Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista black screen when starting....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paola

paola

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi,
I don't know if this is the right place for this post...sorry if it isn't! I had searched online if someone has the same problem of me, I found similar problems but not the mine one (but if there is, can you please give me the link?).
I have a DELL LATITUDE D830 with a dual boot (Ubuntu and Vista). When I start Vista I get the Windows logo and then a black screen with the mouse pointer only.
Keybord doesn't work. I can move the mouse, but cannot select anything. No Ctr+Alt+Del works.
I can just switch off the computer. At the start up I need to press F8 to be able to choose something otherwise I get the black screen.
If I reboot in debug mode it seems to have problem in/after (?) loading crcdisk.sys driver...it doesn't tell me anything!
If I reboot asking automatic restore of PC it asks me the account and the only working account is the mine one (no administrator available). Then it suggests to contact the administrator. I have checked the error report and nothing is reported: system is working.
I have no previous configuration to restore.
I can access to the prompt. So I tried to write sfc /scannow. The answer is that to be completed the process requires to restart the computer and to do again sfc /scannow. I restart again, do the command again, but I get the same answer.....
When I get the black screen the processor is not off, because after a long time (2 hours about) the computer restarts by itself....so something is happening even if I don't know what!

The only thing I didn't try is to restore Vista from CD.... I'm really afraid that to do this could delete the partition, or overwrite on the boot I have, deleting the access to Linux!

I have a backup of all my files, so it doesn't matter if what I have to do will cancel my files, but what I really need is to keep Linux operating.

So, if you have any suggestion.... I'm not good in using computer, so, please, a step-by-step solution would be really appreciate!
Thank you very much

Paola

PS No peripherics are connected, the wireless is switched off

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Maybe this will help:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...27-df116a686d0c

According to them, this looks to be a motherboard issue and will need to be replaced. I don't know if it is true but I would definitely call Dell support and find out for sure!!'

There might be a fix for it here:

http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen...sta-and-XP.html

Hope this helps!

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#3 paola

paola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hi GamerX,
thank you for your answer.
A question: could it be a motherboard problem even if I can successfully boot Ubuntu? Because up to now Ubuntu is working correctly.
I have tried all the suggestions in your link, but nothing works.... if you have an other idea....
I'll contact Dell tomorrow morning and let you know!
Thanks,

Paola

#4 inenigma

inenigma

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

Maybe this will help:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...27-df116a686d0c

According to them, this looks to be a motherboard issue and will need to be replaced. I don't know if it is true but I would definitely call Dell support and find out for sure!!'

There might be a fix for it here:

http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen...sta-and-XP.html

Hope this helps!

I've got a HP Pavilion with the same intermittent problem - Blackscreens on startup. I've applied the patches above and I still get it at times.... I've discovered thru trial and error that it helps to have two or three windows accounts to startup with. When my PC blackscreens on my primary logon account, I perform the following and it seems to bring me back to good:

1) Press <ctrl-alt-delete>
2) Select Switch User
3) Logon to secondary acount (wallpaper has always then been displayed)
4) Switch User again to your primary account and voila everythings seems to work !!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users