Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM & McAfee - Vista Ult SP2: Will they play together?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hello:

New to BC.com and NOT a computer geek, by any stretch, so kindly indulge me.

Looking to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.44 Free on Vista Ultimate SP2 (32) desktop PC running OEM McAfee Security Center (VirusScan 13; Security Center 9; Firewall; Anti-Spam; Parental Controls).

Installing MBAM on my W7 laptop running Webroot ISE recently was a little dicey re: firewall exclusions and such. Eventually required a couple of MBAM uninstalls/reinstalls and some help from their forum (and from Webroot) before I got it all to work.

Now the fun begins.

After consulting with the McAfee and Malwarebytes boards on this, I thought I'd check in with y'all for 1 more set of opinions/suggestions before taking the plunge.

So, does anyone have experience with MBAM 1.44 (Free) and McAfee consumer (not enterprise) security suites on an x86 Vista platform?
Will they play well together?
Or should I expect hangups/freezes/conflicts or BSODs?
Should I even try?
(System details should be in my signature below.)

Thanks much in advance!

daledoc

Edited by MoxieMomma, 16 January 2010 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,099 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

Hi, Quietman:

Thanks for writing.

Yup, that's what I figured (hence my interest in adding something to my McAfee suite and Counterspy standalone). :flowers:

Ask 100 folks about the best/safest/least troublesome AV/AM standalones, and get 200 opinions. :thumbsup:

One of the gurus (long-time, expert moderator) at the McAfee forums suggests SuperAntiSpyware Free or AdAware Free as being a good option -- should work OK with McAfee.
I have no experience with the former (and am not overly impressed with its reviews), and didn't really like Lavasoft products when I used them in the past on XP systems (but I suppose I could be persuaded to take another look).
MBAM seems to be one of the best (albeit prone to an occasional FP, which usually gets fixed quickly).
It can be a little dicey to configure one's FW settings to avoid conflicts, but I was considering it for my Vista PC.

So, my real question is a bit more specific re: McAfee + MBAM on a Vista Ultimate SP2 (32) Platform.

IOW, does anyone have any feedback (+ or -) re: whether this is a suitable choice and one not prone to BSOD and other catastrophes?
Or is there something more "compatible" with McAfee, such as one of the other standalones?

THANKS for your help!!!

G'night,

MM

PS My ISP's POP mail servers are down at the moment (THANKS TIME WARNER CR@PPY CABLE!), so I'm having to check replies directly online at the board. I am probably going to call it quits for tonight and hope email is back up in the AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users