Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I stop auto-sort and auto-typing of folders?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

The "Customize this Folder ..." and "Folder and Search Options ..." and "Properties" choices don't seem to do anything. So, I have two major headaches (at the moment): :huh:

1) How do I stop Vista's constant auto-sorting of folders? If I change a file name or add a few files to a directory it automatically resorts everything! This is extremely frustrating ... especially if I make a naming mistake and don't know where to find the file! How do I stop Vista until I--and only I--decide to refresh the folder?

2) How do I stop Vista from deciding (always wrongly) what "Type of folder" a directory is and forcing its own display and sort criteria on it--actually them as it decides about EVERY folder and doesn't follow MY choices!

Why can't Windows do what I need it to do?!? :huh:

F & C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Check here: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/index....showtopic=36574

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

Check here: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/index....showtopic=36574

Thank you Broni! I hope that works for the folder issue. :huh:
(Rhetorical question that needs no answer: This seems to be a bug in Vista and 7--why don't they fix it?)

Do you happen to have any suggestions of how to stop Vista from auto-refreshing/auto-sorting the files in folders (if I change a file's name, for example) until I choose to do so? :huh:

F & C

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

This seems to be a bug in Vista and 7--why don't they fix it?

Don't ask me :huh:
I's been an issue since early Windows versions, as far, as I remember.

Do you happen to have any suggestions of how to stop Vista from auto-refreshing

Try here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/lofivers....php?t9578.html (post by "The Unknown P"). You want to have "0" instead of "1" there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

This seems to be a bug in Vista and 7--why don't they fix it?

Don't ask me :huh:
I's been an issue since early Windows versions, as far, as I remember.

That's seems strange. I've never seen 3.1, 3.11, 95, or 98 do it. I don't think they even have "folder themes". :huh:

Do you happen to have any suggestions of how to stop Vista from auto-refreshing

Try here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/lofivers....php?t9578.html (post by "The Unknown P"). You want to have "0" instead of "1" there.

The link takes me to a conversation about getting XP to work for them. Wouldn't Vista follow instructions in a different part of the registry since XP doesn't usually auto-refresh everything?

M&C

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

I'm on Vista and it has very same key.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

I'm on Vista and it has very same key.

Thank you for all of your help, Broni. :huh: (Also, I apologise that I did not respond earlier to your last post. I forgot that I hadn't.)

I believe that your registry patches would work for these two issues although I have not tried them. I find it completely frustrating that Windows would not allow the user an easy way to turn these "helpful" "features" off without having to reprogram it myself.

Instead, I am trying out two software programs that claim to fix both of these rude and extremely annoying problems--XYplorer and Xplorer2. XYplorer is awsome, allows me to work with 1000s of files efficiently, and does everything promised (and a bit more, after some gentle experimentation). I have yet to try Xplorer2 but I have heard and seen some very good things about it.

Thank you, again!
F&C

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

You're welcome :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Instead, I am trying out two software programs that claim to fix both of these rude and extremely annoying problems--XYplorer and Xplorer2. XYplorer is awsome, allows me to work with 1000s of files efficiently, and does everything promised (and a bit more, after some gentle experimentation). I have yet to try Xplorer2 but I have heard and seen some very good things about it.
F&C

One final note on this topic:

I have tried Xplorer2 now. I like Xplorer2 (both the free version and 'pro' version) more than XYplorer. Xplorer2 is simpler, cleaner, has a good text editor with it, and does everything I need it to. Since I work with up to a few thousand files every day, this is all good!

Bottom line is give them *both* a try for at least a couple days. YMMV. :huh:

F&C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users