Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Charge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

So my sister's laptop just stopped charging, so i took a look at it. Immediately noticed that the plug-in for the charger was unaligned with the hole (if that makes sense). So i know that is the problem and that the piece needs to be replaced. We took it up to Bestbuy's Geek squad, and their employee said that the price it would cost to fix would be comparable to buying a new laptop. Now i personally find that hard to believe. I was figuring $75-$100 for the part and $50-$75 for labor. Now $175 is nowhere near a new laptop. So i decided to ask for your opinions, and better yet it you might be able to tell me how to fix it.

Thanks

EDIT: So i called a computer repair shop that is near us. And they also said that Bestbuy's quote was unreasonable. And that they could fix it for $126.75. I personally think this sounds reasonable, i just wanted to add the extra info i just learned.
Thanks again.

Edited by Bassplayer15, 16 January 2010 - 02:11 PM.

Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

About $125 is the going rate. The jack is $8-15, labor is the rest. That's my bread and butter hardware fix.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

Agreed with above. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

Agreed as well. :thumbsup:

#5 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info.
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users