Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade XP Home edition to Window 7 Ultimate problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 blubblub

blubblub

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

Well yesterday I got my Windows 7 upgrade. So ever since been frustrated :huh:

I plugged in the DVD started my computer and went for a clean install (I had already backed up all my files), only to notice that it kept being stuck at expanding files at 0%. I tried my 'internal DVD player' and an external one. I went to sleep so it's been over 8 hours and still no change.

So I thought to reinstall XP, download the updates and then install from within XP. It now got stuck at 68% while 'copying files'.

Today I've been trying to setup my external USB HDD player as a boot drive, but it keeps saying 'BootMGR' is missing. I'm following the steps described at: http://dotnetwizard.net/vista-stuff/tips-h...lashhard-drive/ and found a few others with similar descriptions (tried formatting both NFTS and FAT32) but none worked.

Oh and of course I checked if my system is capabable of running Win7, which it is.

Anyone any suggestions?

Edited by blubblub, 16 January 2010 - 11:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

Well, that isn't the best tutorial to be using.

I currently have the DVD install disk, and the same install files on an external hard drive (used to install Windows 7 on my new netbook).

Give me a few minutes while I type up how I did it....
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Well, that isn't the best tutorial to be using.

I currently have the DVD install disk, and the same install files on an external hard drive (used to install Windows 7 on my new netbook).

Give me a few minutes while I type up how I did it....

Great, that would be very helpfull.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

I'll assume you got an upgrade disk mailed to you from your computer's manufacturer? If it was a downloaded ISO file (I'll assume LEGAL), try redownloading it and reburning it. Sometimes they don't work right and you have to do them again. If it was mailed, then we have to assume that it is a valid, working copy.

Okay, while you are booted into XP, insert your DVD into your drive. Close the Windows 7 install screen that comes up (it may show up twice). Plug in your flash drive or hard drive (doesn't matter which, as both will work as long as there is at least 2.50GB of free space). Now, type the following into your Run box:

diskmgmt.msc

In this Disk Management window, you will see your on-board hard drive, your DVD, and your external drive. You can just shrink the partition on the external. Shrink it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Shrink partition" (it may say "Shrink volume" instead). Shrink it by 3072MB. You should now see some unallocated space of about 3GB. Right click this space, and select "New Simple Volume". Make a new volume formatted in FAT32 (be sure to give it a drive letter). After creating it, right-click it and mark it as active.

Now open up My Computer, and right-click once on your DVD drive. Select "Open". You should now see the Windows 7 install files. While leaving the window with your DVD's files open, open My Computer in another window and open your 3GB partition. Drag and drop the files from your DVD to your 3GB partition.

You should be able to boot off the external now.

If Disk Management will not let you partition your external, use a program like Easeus Partition Manager to partition the hard drive.

Let me know if you hit any snags while following my directions, and we'll go from there. (try to be as specific as possible) :huh:

#5 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks, I'm trying it now.

I indeed have currently an official Windows XP Home Edition installed (came with my previous PC) and an official Windows 7 Upgrade Premium DVD (physical, not downloaded).

My Disk Management didn't have an option 'shrink', so I downloaded your suggested partition manager. I removed my entire external HDD player and then created a partition with FAT32 as 'logical' (had two options logical or 'primary', I guessed 'logical').
Oddly though it did not allow me to use the first roughly 7.84 MB.

I then went to copy the files from the DVD to the HDD player, but this took sooo long (probably because I'm using my more reliable external DVD player), I decided to first copy the files to my hard-disk and then from my hard-disk to the HDD player. My default setting in explorer is to show hidden files and also system files, so those should have been copied as well.

I'm currently copying from DVD to PC and also this is taking some time (25 min according to Explorer) and then still need to do PC to HDD.

I will then restart the PC and hit 'del' to setup the BIOS. Change my hard-drive to the external one and make it the first in the priority boot.

Just thought to post this, just in case I'm already doing or going to do something wrong....

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

You should pick "Primary" partition. I don't know what "Logical" does, but I already know that Primary is what is always used.

Hopefully, I can catch you before you try to copy to the external.

And yeah, there isn't anything hidden in the root drive of a Windows install disk. Just dragging and dropping gets everything.

If you've already copied the files to the external, you can try it (don't forget to set it as "Active"), but if it doesn't work, start over with a "Primary" partition. If I caught you before you've copied, go ahead and delete that partition, and make a Primary one.

I forgot to mention to pick Primary in my other post. If you encounter an important decision like this when getting help from somebody, the best thing to do would be to stop and ask for clarification (as it might determine whether or not the procedure will work). :huh:

#7 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

not to worry, you caught me in time.
I'll reformat the disk as primary.

Meanwhile I got an error while copying from my DVD to my hard-disk from the PC. It mentioned a 'cyclic redundancycheck' error (translated from Dutch).
Perhaps there is something wrong with the DVD even though it is an official one, or the DVD player (strange since it did manage to install XP yesterday).
I'm now trying to copy the files folder by folder to see if I can pinpoint the error, or if it's just the length of the copying that is causing the problem.

Of course I will keep everything here updated.

EDIT: Just reformatted as primary, which also eliminates the problem of not being able to allocate the first 7.84 MB.

Edited by blubblub, 16 January 2010 - 02:55 PM.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

Then I'll bet your DVD is screwed up. Check these out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check
http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html

If you got that error while copying from the DVD, then that would probably mean that the data on it is corrupt (you already know the drive works, so it has to be the disk). That would explain why the Windows 7 install would hang. It couldn't extract the stuff it needed at X point of installation, so it just hung.

Sounds like you'll have to give either Microsoft or your manufacturer a call and explain the situation. They should send you another disk.

It's remotely possible that installing off the external will work, but not likely as the data being copied to it is already corrupted. It's worth a try, though, before you try to get another disk. Ask around your friends and computer people you know, and see if anybody has an upgrade disk to the same version. It doesn't matter if the disk belongs to somebody else. The only thing Microsoft cares about is the Product Key (that's how they make their money). If you know somebody that has a working disk (make sure it's the same version), you can use their disk with your Product Key (perfectly legal). :huh:

Let me know what you want to do next...

#9 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

Not giving up just yet :D

I've tried putting the DVD in my internal DVD player, but it simply wouldn't even show up in that one (although other discs do).
I'm now using CDCheck 3.1 to see if the file is indeed corrupted and perhaps recover it.
The file that is causing the problem (at least at the moment) is Install.wim in the 'resource' folder, and murphy's law it's a huge file of 2 gigs, so it's gonna take ages again to check.

Anyway thanks for the help, I'll keep you and all other viewers posted and am of course still open to suggestions :D

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, that install.wim file is pretty important. If it is corrupted, you will likely never be able to use the disk. It doesn't hurt to try, but most likely it won't work.

Good luck, and you're welcome.

I'll be back to check on your progress later.

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

This is a great tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-...indows-7-a.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

This is a great tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-...indows-7-a.html

Indeed, if your DVD isn't corrupted :huh:

Am now using CDCheck to try to recover as much as possible, but it's gonna take a long time. So leave the PC running while going to sleep myself :D

I'll see what happens tomorrow, and Monday I'll try to see if they can send me a new disc.

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Well, I hope you can sort it all out and get migrated to Windows 7 soon. :huh:

All the best,
keyboardNinja

#14 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

Well, I've send my DVD back and got a new one. Installed it this time without any problems and writing this now using as an OS Windows 7 :D

Thanks again for all the help.

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

Awesome!! Enjoy Windows 7!! :huh: