Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Over 3 hours doing backup, then it tells me to insert floppy at the end?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

I have a Compaq Presario 5000 PC model 5BW284. I use Windows XP Pro. I recently attempted to back up my entire system using the Backup wizard utility provided on the OS. It took me over 3 hours using two USB flash drives. The process had less than two minutes remaining when a box came up telling me to insert a floppy disk.

Why on earth would it tell me to insert a 3.5 floppy after spending hours backing up hard drive contents on large capacity USB devices? A floppy only holds 1.44 MB anyway. Is the floppy needed for boot-up in case of hard drive failure?

So anyway, I couldn't find a floppy anywhere in the house. Then that box telling me to insert floppy disappears. So I guess the process never finished?

How do I complete this last step that was supposed to be done with the floppy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

Are there backup files on the flash drives? If so, can you do a test restore of a file?

Edited by mrob, 16 January 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#3 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

I checked the USB drive and it contains the back up folder. I didn't open it for fear of it automatically installing. Might be better if I delete the file on the USB drive and start over. Or forget about it altogether. Not worth attempting a test restore.

But I am wondering what the purpose of the floppy is. If I can find what it should contain, then maybe I can re-attempt a backup of that item separately. Or maybe find it on the Internet.

#4 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

Can you search the backup program help file for the word "floppy" or "diskette"? This might give you some direction. It seems a shame to loose a possible good backup.

#5 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

Michael, I did some Internet research and found an answer. There are others like me who asked the same question. Apparently, the floppy is needed to copy two critical files from the repair directory. The ASR(automatic system recovery) will not be complete without loading these two files from the floppy.

So all I need to do is copy these files from my hard drive onto a floppy. Then this can be used in conjunction with the data I already copied to the USB flash drives.

-Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users