Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone know of firstSTREETs GO computer for seniors?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 murielcarr

murielcarr

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

My friend found an ad for the GO computer for seniors. The senior in question currently has a windows based computer which he uses to play solitare. He doesn't use email as it's too complicated for him. He can't remember all the steps and thus doesn't use it.

Here's a clip from their ad. Has anyone heard of this or used it?

" But wait until you start to use it...Itís easy to see and use with specially designed features like a large-letter keyboard, an easy-rolling trackball mouse and a zoom feature that magnifies up to 200 percent. firstSTREETís computer features a whole new operating system based on a "GO" screen concept, backed up by immediate phone access to around-the-clock U. S.-based remote service and assistance.

Finally...a computer you canít break, crash or confuse; a computer that wonít lose whatís put into it, and thatís protected from viruses and spam!

Welcome to the world of a failure-free and fear-free computer! "

The website is www.thegocomputer.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

I have never heard of them. But that really means nothing.

Having looked at their site I find the information regarding the overall specs of the machine woefully lacking. The price seems a bit steep as well IMO.

One write up I found. http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/04/f...enior-citizens/

Links to Better Business Bureau reports about firstStreet http://www.bbb.org/us/Find-Business-Reviews/#middle-result

I would tread carefully.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

a zoom feature that magnifies up to 200 percent

Yeah, it's called the Ctrl and + keys
Standard Logitech trackball and I'm positive you can find an over-sized keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...sl_5yloi6pdfv_e
Check the local library near you for beginner classes for seniors
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 murielcarr

murielcarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

Thanks guys!! I agree. Buyer beware!

#5 midlifemom

midlifemom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

Have you looked at PointerWare? (www.PointerWare.com) They sell software for seniors who have never used a computer before and people with disabilities (ie. poor vision, mobility issues) who have a hard time using a conventional computer system. It's pretty basic -e-mail, games, photos and browsing the Internet.

They were on CBC TV's Dragon's Den (Canada's equivalent of Shark Tank and seemed to be really well received. Here's a link to the video:

#6 murielcarr

murielcarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users