Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not reboot - it will start 15 min. later

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimzbosoxfan

jimzbosoxfan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

I have searched high and low and have not seen my specific problem. My computer will not restart and unfortunately it has been happening for awhile (over a year) so it is not something I did recently that caused it. It always starts normally as long as it has not been on for about 15 minutes or so. When I attempt to restart, I always get the Windows Logon Process STOP:C000021a error. If I wait 15 or 20 minutes and turn it on, it starts normally.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:41 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316503&sd=RMVP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318666&sd=RMVP

Possible causes...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 jimzbosoxfan

jimzbosoxfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reply. I checked both articles and they did not apply to my situation. I have never had any Norton anti-virus installed (so no Goback) and IE and XP are up to date as far as Service Packs and fixes.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

Computer Make and Model?

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

From reliable source:

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article, or see Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit, p. 1561.)
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.
GoBack Causes a Stop Error C000021a {KB 316503} Win XP
Internet Explorer Maintenance Policies May Cause an Access Violation in Winlogon {KB 318666} Win XP Pro

#6 jimzbosoxfan

jimzbosoxfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

I bought if from a guy who builds them back in July of 2005. I know, it is probably time for a new one, but it still works OK for what I use it for. Here are the specifics:

2.15 G AMD Athlon Processor
128 K Primary Memory Cache
256 K Secondary
Board: SiS-741
HD: Maxtor 6Y080L0 81.96 G
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/22/2004
512 M Memory

#7 jimzbosoxfan

jimzbosoxfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

I'm still having the problem. Could it be a capacitor that has to discharge before it allows the system to restart? A bad battery? I'm just grasping a straws.

All I know is it never reboots successfully, but if I wait 20 minutes or so, it starts fine - every time.

#8 jimzbosoxfan

jimzbosoxfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I just logged on for the first time in a long time. The problem was fixed by a PC Tech friend of mine a couple of years ago. It seems the CPU became dislodged from the heatsink and was overheating. He soldered it back in place and the problem was corrected. It seems like kind of a cryptic error message, too bad it didn't just say "I'm overheating". :rolleyes:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for bringing us up-to-date with your resolution....happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users