Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Pixels?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vosscharge

Vosscharge

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

My computer seems to be displaying an odd increase in dead pixels. I'm running a Dell 1545 with Windows 7 with Mobile Intel Series Express chipset and a "Generic PnP" monitor. The first dead pizel is actually several. They popped up in the upper left hand corner of my screen. Started as scattered and they were discolored (Red, green, and blue). Recently they've turned black. The overall area they're in is about half an inch of screen and form a "spiky" circular shape. Some spots within this spiky circle have gone entirely black whereas others, mostly in the center of the shape, are individual pixels.

Another strongly resembling an underscore has popped up in the middle of the screen.

What bugs me is that the larger bunch of dead pixels seems to be growing slightly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried Jscreen Fix on these for a few periods of five minutes seemingly without helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

Additionally: these pixels are visible even when the screen is off. Anyone?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

I'm going to get a hold of Platypus for some comments
He repairs them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Unfortunately it sounds to me rather like a "bleed", where the cells containing the liquid crystal rupture and bleed out (a different thing to backlight bleed). That becomes visible when the monitor is off.

Any chance of seeing a digital camera shot of the screen, off and on?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

I will try to do that now, hopefully I can find the old camera. Sorry for the delay and thanks for the help.

#6 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image

that's it. I'm really hoping it isn't screen bleed seeing as how I don't possess the receipt for this computer. It's less than 90 days old, but it's also the only one I'm using right now, seeing as how inexperience led to my desktop becoming a virus quagmire (And having the unfortunate of the restore disc being stolen). It looks exactly the same with the screen off, minus the flecks of red you can see. Can get a second image of the area with the monitor off if it will help though.

Edited by Vosscharge, 22 January 2010 - 03:48 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

Yep, that's a classic (if slightly wobbly) christmas tree pixel bleed.

I'd take a punt and say in my experience there's a fair chance there's an LG.Philips panel in it, most of those I've seen have been in LG.Philips ones.

Bit awkward not having the receipt if it's in the warranty period - I've never dealt with Dell, should they have a record of the purchase?

#8 Vosscharge

Vosscharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:34 AM

Picked it up from best buy so, don't think so. Sticky situation. Any way to slow it down perhaps? If I can't make it last at least a few more months there's no way I'll be able to get a new one should Dell choose not to purchase it.

Edited by Vosscharge, 23 January 2010 - 03:36 AM.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

If you have a Best Buy rewards card you can go on line go through the log in thing and find your buying history with purchase dates.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

No way to know if it's going to get any worse, or delay it if it is, I'm afraid.

Do whatever you can to chase up Proof of Purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users