Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Problem with 5.1 Front L/R Speaker Volume

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:10 AM

My PC operating system is Windows XP Home SP3. Shortly after buying the PC I bought and installed a Philips Sonic Edge sound card and a set of VideoLogic 5.1 Surround Sound speakers with subwoofer. At the time I was a PC novice and my oldest son did the installation. All worked well until approx two years later when I reformatted the OS. After that although everything else works as it did I had a problem when testing the speakers via the Philips interface.The front left and right speakers have a reduced volume in comparison with the Rear L/R and Centre speakers even if I have the fader control at the top thereby cutting the sound from the rear speakers they seem to have the same reduced volume at any position. I mentioned this to my son at the time and he reckoned that the front speakers had just lost a bit of their efficiency. I believed this until yesterday.

I use VLC player for all audio and video playback and was playing about with the VLC preferences settings. Later I noticed that the sound on playback was very loud even at only one or two on the volume slider. I quickly realised that I must have done something to the VLC audio settings and on checking found that I had accidently changed the default audio output type in VLC from default to Win32 Waveout Extension Output. I changed it back to default and saved it then exited. That evening I watched a film and it was in the normal surround sound ie 5.1 speakers. Next morning on signing in I played some music and noticed that there was no sound coming from the rear speakers. I went in to the XP control panel > Sounds and Audio devices and checked that it was set at 5.1 Surround which it was. I then exited VLC player and reopened it with a video to find that all speakers were now working with sound coming from them. I opened up the Philips interface and did a test and found that both Front L/R, Rear L/R and Centre speakers now had equal volume. Today I find it has reverted to the previous mode with the front L/R having the reduced volume again. I tried unsuccessfully to recreate whatever I had done to get them to work properly but now realise that at least there is no problem with the front L/R speakers as I had previously thought but that it must be a configuration problem. Could anyone help me to get this sound card, the 5.1 speakers and Windows configured correctly in order for it all to work as it should?. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

I had trouble with my sound volume and reinstalling the driver did the trick
I didn't see where you mentioned that you tried this already
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the reply Garmanma, I will give it a try.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users