Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a big Exteran Harddrive (1TB or more), could anyone recommend me one?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Arma

Arma

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:04 AM

I am looking for the best External Harddrive (performance wise), the most reliable one and the one who has the longest lifespan.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

What type of interface (connection to the computer) are you looking for?
USB, eSATA, IEEE 1394, a combination of 2, or all 3?
What's your budget?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

What type of interface (connection to the computer) are you looking for?
USB, eSATA, IEEE 1394, a combination of 2, or all 3?

Which is the most reliable one and offers the best performance? I am asking because I know that with the Iomega Presitige one I have (using USB connection) you can easily loose your backup, if you don't unplug the thing correctly, or if for example there is a power shortage and the computer shuts down while the External Hardive is connected to it and so on.

What's your budget?

No higher than 800.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:00 AM

They are all reliable.
As far as performance, eSATA would provide you with the fastest transfer rates, followed by IEEE 1394 (Firewire), then USB.

I am asking because I know that with the Iomega Presitige one I have (using USB connection) you can easily loose your backup, if you don't unplug the thing correctly, or if for example there is a power shortage and the computer shuts down while the External Hardive is connected to it and so on.

This can happen with any external drive.
If your computer is reading/writing to the drive when there is a power failure, or you disconnect it, there's a high probability you will corrupt files.

When disconnecting a drive, always use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray.
Using that icon basically tells Windows, "I'm ready to disconnect this drive, so finish up what your doing."
When Windows is through transferring data, it lets you know with a Safe To Remove Hardware pop-up.
At that point, you can disconnect without fear of data corruption.

As far as power outages, I would take some of that $800 and invest in a good UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).
When the power goes out, the battery backup kicks in, supplying power to your computer.
A good UPS will supply power for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the peripherals you have plugged into the battery backup side of the UPS.
The non-backup side will act as a surge protector, but those outlets will lose power in the event of a power outage.
All quality backups come with auto shutdown software.
In the event your not around when the power goes out, the software will safely close all open applications, and then shut down your computer.
Tripp Lite, APC, and Cyberpower make good equipment.
I have no experience with the others, so I can't comment on them.

Now to your original question (sorry about getting sidetracked :thumbsup:), I'm partial to Seagate, and WD (Western Digital) SATA drives.
These are what I use, and can't comment on other manufacturers.
I've got 2 internal (250GB), 1 external (500GB) Seagates, and 2 internal (640GB, 1TB), 1 external (1TB) WDs, and haven't had problems with any of them.

Can't comment on their factory external drives, because I buy internal drives, an enclosure, and put them together myself.
It's fun, easy, and usually saves me a couple of bucks.
Takes 10 minutes, tops, to put one together.

If you go the "build it yourself" route, and you use 1TB, or larger drives, get an enclosure with an internal fan.
Large drives generate a lot of heat.
Also, plug the A/C adapter into the battery backup side of your UPS, if you decide to get one.

Hope I answered most of your questions.
If you have any more, just ask, and I'll try to answer them.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

Thank you for this detailed reply. So I was thinking of getting a Western Digital of 1TB, which model should I go for? And how can I know if my PC can accept ESATA inputs?

As for buying a UPS, I will probably get one some time from now, probably around the time when I will replace my 5 years old PC in 5-6 months.

Edited by Arma, 18 January 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:13 AM

The ones I use:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

If your computer has a rear eSATA port, it will look like this:

Posted Image

If you don't have an external port, and you're set on using eSATA, you'll need an add-on card.
Something similar to this, depending on the Motherboard interface available.
You would need an empty PCI, or PCIe slot on your motherboard, to be able to install one.

If you can hold off, until you replace your computer, just make sure the new comp has an eSata port on the back.

#7 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:31 AM

The ones I use:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I was asking about the external hardrive, not the internal model.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

As previously explained...he takes an internal hard drive and puts it into an enclosure that allows connection of the drive/enclosure to the system.

A retail external hard drive...is nothing but an enclosure containing a hard drive which otherwise would be internal to a computer system. Some of these externals also have a power pack, some may have software associated (which must be installed)...but the essentials are an insternal drive in an enclosure.

Louis

#9 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

What do you guys think of this external Hardrive from WD?

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Book...966&sr=1-10

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Well...considering that I can buy a 1TB hard drive for less than $100...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136284

and I can buy a USB 2.0 powered enclosure for less than $50...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153066

I would not even be considering it. I don't buy parts so that profit margins can exceed the norm.

But it's your money and you spend it as you wish.

If you think that putting a hard drive in an enclosure is too whatever, you may want to take a look at comparable external hard drives available at http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...nal-Hard-Drives

Louis

#11 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

Well...considering that I can buy a 1TB hard drive for less than $100...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136284

and I can buy a USB 2.0 powered enclosure for less than $50...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153066

I would not even be considering it. I don't buy parts so that profit margins can exceed the norm.

But it's your money and you spend it as you wish.

If you think that putting a hard drive in an enclosure is too whatever, you may want to take a look at comparable external hard drives available at http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...nal-Hard-Drives

Louis

if your in the UK check argos.co.uk - i got a 1tb seagate external HD from them for 76

#12 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Okay, so here is the Western Digital store page featuring their External Hardrives products:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus...goryID.13092800

But there is like 8 different products to choose from, I have no idea which one should I get...

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

Just my opinion...

Marketing is a big part of any manufacturer's profit picture, which may somewhat explain why we have so many apparent same models, components, etc. which can perform the same function...all at different prices. In the world of marketing...consumers exist merely for the purpose of exploitation...they are the buyers of goods which the manufacturer wants/needs to sell.

Marketing is designed to get prospective purchasers to "see" differences which exist but which are insubstantial....in just about every product produced for consumers.

The actual hard drive inside any of these "fancy" enclosures...is the same hard drive that any of us can buy for less than $99, if we shop.

I can't tell you which drive to buy...I can tell you which drive I would buy, for my own reasons. My reasons may not match up with yours, in the same way that some users prefer to have "the latest" CPU, as if there won't be a better one tomorrow.

TG1911 suggested the approach that many of us take...we don't buy those "external drives" that are sold to users who don't realize that they are paying more for something that they could have for less.

Think of it in the same way that you might approach buying a car. People do not necessarily buy the "best" or the "worst" car, they buy based on their own personal preferences.

To me, buying computers and computer parts involves the same type of spending...on a smaller scale than that involved in purchasing an auto (hopefully).

You asked for a recommendation...the gentleman pretty much gave you one, one that I probably would echo. Others here will have differing opinions.

Louis

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

As Louis said, no one can really pick one for you.
That's a personal choice.
Any drive from a reputable manufacturer, is as good as any other.
It just depends on what you like, and need.

In case you're worried about the difficulty, in putting together your own external drive, don't be.
Here's the process, using pics I took while assembling one for my Dad:

The parts
Posted Image

Separate the tray from the enclosure
Posted Image

Fit the tray over the harddrive
Posted Image

Plug in the interface
Posted Image

Put in the 2 mounting screws (one on each side), attaching the tray to the harddrive
Posted Image

Slide tray/harddrive into the enclosure
Posted Image

Put in the 2 side screws (one on each side), which attach the harddrive to the enclosure
Posted Image

Put in the 2 end screws, which attach the tray to the enclosure
Posted Image

Done.
You now have an external harddrive.
That's all there is to it.

It's very easy.
If you've never done it before, you should be able to do it in 20 minutes, or less.

Other than the cost, the other advantage to building your own; you get to pick the drive you want, and the enclosure you want, not what someone else thinks you need.
There's also the added satisfaction of knowing, you did it yourself. :thumbsup:

#15 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:03 AM

As Louis said, no one can really pick one for you.
That's a personal choice.
Any drive from a reputable manufacturer, is as good as any other.
It just depends on what you like, and need.

Okay okay I get it,

So I will either buy the WD ShareSpace 4 TB or 2 TB one:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus.../catid.13092900

Or the WD My Book Studio Edition II 4 Tb or 2 TB:

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus.../catid.13092800

But they are expensive so I need to save up some money first, probably will manage to get either one of these in february or at worst march.

Edited by Arma, 19 January 2010 - 08:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users