Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot boot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 masmbc

masmbc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

Hi. I know I have trojan infections on laptop, running WIN XP Pro SP3. Trojans Vundo.JW and Downloader.Agent2.QOH both identified. Have AVG Internet Security which successfully finds these and "removes" them, but they re-appear. Other solutions often include running remval tools in Safe Mode, but when I try the machine starts the boot process (scrolling through many files on screen) but then reaches an AVG file and stops - blue screen flashes on screen (too fast to read), then boot cycle re-starts and laptop selects normal mode. Any suggestions plse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:09 AM

If you can only boot in Safe Mode, choose the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Then you can see the BSOD.

Here are some BSOD blue screen of death examples showing information you need to provide:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/Windows_XP_BSOD.png
http://techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/downloads/images/bsod_a.jpg

Send the information pointed to with the red arrows (3-4 lines total). Skip the boring text unless it looks important to you. We know what a BSOD looks like, we need to know the other information that is specific to your BSOD.

If your system presents a BSOD while running and then restarts, disable Automatic restart on system error to stop the error on your screen so you can see it:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings.

In the System failure section, untick the Automatically restart box, OK, OK.

Your topic will best be addressed in the Am I Infected forum and I hope someone will move you there soon.

Edited by joseibarra, 16 January 2010 - 08:00 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 yogodating14

yogodating14

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hi
yes it's a good solution for you disable the automatic restart system settings into bios.
you can repair you windows with booting the system and when you install the new windows or repair the problem will rid of here.

Thanks
Regards

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

Travel to malware section: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users