Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search results are redirected through rle822x.cn. Now I can not start my computer anymore. Please help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vinodk

vinodk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hi
I have a Dell inspiron640m laptop with Windows XP home operating system. I have been using google search (in internet explorer) all the time and since last week I noticed that when I click on the search results it takes me to the site and with in fraction of a second redirects me to www.google.com/webhp. Same thing happened when I used yahoo search too. I tried using firefox, but of no use. At the left bottom corner of my IE browser I could see that my search was going through "rle822x.cn" Through some internet search I figured out that this could be due to a nasty rootkit and some people have suggested that combofix might be a good solution for this. I am a biological science researcher with very little information about computers. Though I am not an IT guy, thought of running combofix sometime this weekend. But unfortunately today morning when I turned on my computer, it came up with a blue screen with the following message
A problem has detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Technical info:
Stop: 0x0000007E(0XC0000005, 0x86AB2113, 0XF7A547B8, 0XF7A544B4

I tried to start it through safe mode but no sucess, again a blue screen appeared with a "?" mark at the top left corner.
I tried to start through command prompt, again it failed to start with the same blue screen with a "?" .

I dont know what is going on with my system. I am very much worried. I would greatly appreciate if someone help me to solve this problem. Please advise me. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance
Vinod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

Please read this topic first:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

Now that we have covered ComboFix we'll try and go on from there...Have you tried to boot from "Last Known Good Configuration"? If you can get it to boot up I would like you to read these following topics about Blue Screen Errors...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If you know that you have Malware I highly suggest that you open up a new topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

The only other option left to you would be to try a repair installation:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

And as a last resort...a clean re-installation of XP....That should address the malware problem but you will lose all of your data...but if you have a serious root-kit infection IMO, it is compromised anyway...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 vinodk

vinodk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hi..Thanks a lot for your response.

Just now I finished reading all the information provided in the links suggested by you. As per your suggestion, I tried to boot from "Last Known Good Configuration" I could not get it to boot up. Again I see the error message with a blue screen. I am pretty sure that it is infected with malware/s. Can you please guide me through repair installation process. I do have a Windows XP CD that came along with my system from Dell.
I have backed up my data a month ago so I dont worry too much about loosing any data. So I tried to set my system back to the original factory setting. But this time my system is not allowing me to do that also. So I would be more than happy even if my system is set to the original factory setting. I will follow your suggestions.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

even if my system is set to the original factory setting

This should help you do that
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 vinodk

vinodk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Garmanma
Thanks for your response and for providing the link to Dell tech support page. According to the procedure provided in that page, I pressed <F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen to get into Advanced Boot Options. Now I am suppose to select "Repair Your Computer".
But in my advanced Boot Option screen there is no such option!
All I see is the following

Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
Enable boot logging
Enable VGA mode
Last known good configuration
Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Start windows normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices menu

I dont see any option -"Repair Your Computer". I dont know how to go about. Please suggest me.

Vinod

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

Garmanma may have directed you to the incorrect page as Vista was listed as the operating system :thumbsup: This one is for XP:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...nt?docid=181316

The difference would be the F11 key instead of F8...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

Sorry for the confusion
Correcting my Bookmark, Thanks OGB
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 vinodk

vinodk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

Thanks Garmanma and OGB
I had tried crtl F11 several times but never worked for me from past 2 days. After repeated trials, at one instance it just worked and able to get into recovery setting!. Now it is fixed. Thanks for your guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users