Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start my computer in any mode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rheanun

Rheanun

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hello everyone,
I cannot get my computer started in any mode. I keep trying to get it to start in safe mode and it gets going and then stops and tell me to press esc to skip loading SPTD.sys. When I hit escape it does nothing but try to load again.

I do not have a windows xp disc to help me. Is there any other way that anyone knows of to get my computer to start? Please help if you can. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

Edited by Rheanun, 15 January 2010 - 10:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:20 AM

Recovery console may be an option to try:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Read these topics first...One of them goes into detail about the recovery console options...I might suggest chkdsk /r at the command prompt among other things mentioned in the forum article...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sptd-13477.html
http://www.file.net/process/sptd.sys.html
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=217729
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. I will read them all and let you know if anything works........

#4 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

So I burned the Recovery console to a disc and I forgot that my disc drive doesn't always read things. I even went to change the bios to start from a cd but I am not sure why but my disc drive only reads certain cds. This one of course it isn't reading. My damn luck........

I can't get my computer into safe mode or any mode whatsoever. So I am assuming that I am pretty much screwed?

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

So I burned the Recovery console to a disc and I forgot that my disc drive doesn't always read things. I even went to change the bios to start from a cd but I am not sure why but my disc drive only reads certain cds. This one of course it isn't reading. My damn luck........

I can't get my computer into safe mode or any mode whatsoever. So I am assuming that I am pretty much screwed?

Not necessarily you can purchase a new CDROM drive at almost any computer store rather inexpensively. Fairly easy to install...IMO if your drive is failing it's probably due for replacement anyway. Remember that this is an optical device and it may just need a good cleaning but they do fail from time to time. I just replaced a DVD drive that would burn DVD's but not read them for around $50.

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 16 January 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#6 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

Well I have another cd rom that I can probbaly use. Of course today is football so I doubt my husband will put it in for me until late tonight lol.

One more question. Could you please make sure that I am doing this right. I downloaded the recovery console thing and then I burned it onto a disk. It is an ISO image file. Was I supposed to open that with winrar and then burn the contents onto a disk or was I supposed to just burn the whole ISO file onto the disk. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I just want to make sure I am doing it right. Thanks for your help!

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

You must use software capable for burning an ISO Image...The tutorial that I originally posted had a link provided for ImageBurn and instructions for it's use...I personally use XP CD Burner which is also free and easy to use...The key word here is using the proper software to burn your ISO Image.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

Using ImageBurn...Burn the whole file onto the Disk...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 16 January 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

FWIW: How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm .

Louis

#9 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

Now I am having a whole other issue. I am running windows 98 on this old computer that I am using right now. My brother in law never even updated to windows xp on here because he said he couldn't.

I had ahead nero on this machine and when I tried to download some of the programs that can burn ISO images, for some reason it messed up my nero and now I don't have the Win-ASPI file on my computer and that is why I can't burn anything now. Does anyone know of a free burning program that I can put on this old windows 98 so I can finally burn the ISO image?

One other thing. My son was doing some research and he is saying that if the windows screen comes up and nothing shoots across the bar that it is a hardware problem or a hard drive problem. There shouldn't be anything wrong with my drives. The only thing I know is that when my computer did crash, my daughter had someone elses Ipod plugged in to my computer because she was putting music or something on it. Would that cause my computer to crash like that you think?

I tried looking at the bios screen but I don't know enough about computers to mess with anything on there. I don't have a windows xp disk and don't even know the code for the windows xp disk that was installed on my computer and my brother in law is no help. So I am assuming I will have to find another windows xp disk, but I don't even know which one was installed on my computer. I know I had service pack 2 but I don't know which one he installed on there and I know he wont remember because it was so long ago. I am sorry to be a pain, I am just at a loss and so upset. Thanks to you all for your help and guidance

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:58 AM

The Active@ Iso Burner program is what I use to create bootable CDs from .iso files, you may want to try it.

Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

Louis

#11 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

Ok I finally got the recovery cd to work. I have read the list of commands etc.....but I am still in need of some help. I am not sure what commands I am even supposed to type in there. Since I am not sure what my actual problem is with my machine. I just want to get it fixed enough to get into safe mode. Any ideas? Oh and thanks again for all the help.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

I would run the chkdsk /r command (space between the k and /) first,

It's kind of the all-purpose maintenance command within XP and it solves a large number of issues. I see that was previously suggested by OGB :thumbsup:.

After that, reboot the system and see if you can get in.

Louis

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#13 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

Thanks you guys for all the help. I finally got my computer to boot up again and it is running but it keep telling me it is infected with something but I can't get it yet. I am working on it though and hopefully I can get it back to normal soon. If you have any more suggestions for me please go right ahead LOL.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

Although many users try to deal with infections without any guidance from those who are more experienced...I suggest that you consider posting at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/.

If you do so, please follow the administrative procedures/guidelines established there.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users