Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirected when using google toolbar search

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mommy41

mommy41

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

Hi,

I'm a computer novice and need some help with a virus that is redirecting me when I search using the Google toolbar. I receive the list of search results , but when I click on a result I am redirected to various sites. Most oftern it's Enhance.com, but sometimes it's different sites. Sometimes, I am not redirected at all.

I am using IE 8.0 and running AVAST virus protection. I am also using Malwareytes Anti Malware to scan for spyware but nothing seems to be able to remove this virus.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hwkd

hwkd

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

First of all try searching the forum for "search engine redirects" or similar variants of that term.

You will see the experts processes/approaches. Plus, you will become familiar with the terms/approacehs/processes that will be advised, which will make you more confident when it is time for you to proceed.

As MBAM is having a hard time you have a significant issue. And, it may require the root kit tools recommended by the forum experts,, i.e, new tools for you to learn.

That said, it can be resolved with patience.

In the meantime, as you have MBAM, you may try to run it in safe mode (as updated as you can get it) and see if you cannot peel back some layers.

Yes, MBAM works best in normal mode, but all of these problems are like layers on an onion so try to peel them back.

I have had the same redirect problem and they can be prickly. So, again patience is utmost.

Please, search the forums for "search engine redirects" and get familiar with the expert advice and one will come along soon with specific instructions similar to what you have read up on.

The forum will be in touch.

#3 hwkd

hwkd

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

Sorry, get to safe mode by pressing F8 while XP(?) boots and you will see the option in white letters on a black screen to select safe mode.

Do not worry.

Booting into safe mode (if you can) will not break anything.

#4 mommy41

mommy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for your advice I will read up on "search engine redirects" and try MBAM in safe mode.

#5 mommy41

mommy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

A quick update: I just tried to boot up in safe mode (yes, I am using XP) and was not successful. Everytime I tried, I was routed backed to the boot up screen and the only way to proceed was to choose 'start up normally"

#6 hwkd

hwkd

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Have you read up on the re-direct advice and selected one?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?ac.
t=Search&CODE=show&searchid=0784089e2744c4a87ff44a5176203e78&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=%2Bsearch+engine+redirect&kw=search%20engine%20redirect

Choose one guide then post a new thread and reference the "redirect" guide you select with a link

In the meantime, you also want to make sure your Java is up to date.

Update your adobe products (Reader, Flash) to the latest versions

When you have to Google something copy and paste the link into a new tab for the desired link instead of clicking it.

A moderator will get with you soon, I am sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users