Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ALL Programs in XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EAM

EAM

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:37 AM

When I click Start (task bar) and then All Programs my screen is filled with three columns of programs, all of which I want to retain.
Is there a way of structuring these programs into a number of folders / categories to make it easier to access them?
EAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:01 AM

hi there is a way to make them tidier by scrolling them, go to start right click, properties, start menu, customise, advanced then you can set up how you want it, the one you want is scroll programs. click then apply then ok.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:19 AM

If you have many programs installed, it can be a pain to find the one you want in the Start / All Programs menu.
To make it easier, you can organize them into subfolders and "pin" your most used programs to the top section of the Start Menu, so they'll always appear there.

To "pin" a program to the top section, just click Start / All Programs and drag the program you want into the top section on the Start Menu.
This creates a shortcut there, and does not remove the shortcut from the All Programs menu.

To organize programs into subfolders, do the following:

Right click the Start button and select Explore All Users.
Windows Explorer will open with the Start Menu folder highlighted in the left pane.
Click the Programs folder.
In the right pane, you'll see folders that represent submenus and shortcuts to programs.
Make new submenus by right clicking in an empty space in the right pane, and selecting New / Folder.
Name the new folder whatever you want the new submenu to be named (for example, Graphics Programs).
Then drag the programs you want into the submenu (for example, you might drag Adobe Photoshop, CorelDraw, and PhotoPaint, into the new "Graphics" folder).

Now when you open the All Programs menu, you'll have submenus with your similar programs organized in them, making it easier to find the programs you need, and making your All Programs menu shorter.

Edited by tg1911, 24 August 2005 - 07:37 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 EAM

EAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:23 PM

tq1911
Many thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
EAM

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:36 PM

You're welcome, EAM.
Glad I could help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users