Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Update, Display Drivers, and more! Joy...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BlazeCyndaquil

BlazeCyndaquil

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

Hmm...
Tell me if this belongs more in Vista than hardware, but if it doesn't really matter than... Whatever.

I have been having problems recently.
First of all Windows Update:
It started a couple days ago. Windows Update had been failing to properly configure updates. Well, I just tried getting updates and looked at the optional updates. There was an update for my video card. The details were as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Corporation - Display - Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family

Installation date: ‎1/‎11/‎2010 11:54 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070103

Update type: Recommended

Intel Corporation Display software update released in June, 2008
------------------------------------------------------------------
It is an old update too... Anyway, my 39 other updates that couldn't install before, just magically installed correctly. While somehow this one didn't. Today, I tried to open Windows Movie Maker and it said that my video driver wasn't good enough. So I decided to check the device manager, and manually install the driver. So I went to Intel's website and found the update. Near the end of the installation I got an unknown error. When I went back to the device manager it was gone, making it even harder to access.

Now for the other problem with Windows Update: So every night, my computer does the installation process. You know saying configuring updates, 2 of 3, 3 of 3 and such, but doesn't give a percent. When I login, my computer asks to run "winupdate.exe.exe", even though Windows Update was already open on the taskbar. And it had an unknown signature and all of that. Could it be a virus (I know winupdate.exe can be a virus)?

Help. Please. I do not see any harm right now other than that I won't be able to edit videos (unless I do it online), but I would still like to know what is up and get it all fixed.

(Note the error number in my intel driver update)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Why not download it from the board manufacturer's website?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

I do not believe in using Windows Updates for updating non-MS drivers, especially video
You should first try the manufacturer's support site for you computer and/or motherboard
2nd choice would be Intel's support site

Edited by garmanma, 15 January 2010 - 07:34 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 BlazeCyndaquil

BlazeCyndaquil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

I went to intel's website to try to get a driver, but it then just made the problem harder by giving me an unknown error while I tried to install it, thus deleting it my device manager. And what manufacturer? The manufacturer would be intel right? Or the person who manufacturers the boards for intel? But I know I already tried to go to Intel for help. Not the support site though. I will check, but my experience with support sites is not very good.

Edited by BlazeCyndaquil, 15 January 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

Winupdate.exe.exe...I think that's a malware item.

Louis

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

And what manufacturer? The manufacturer would be intel right? Or the person who manufacturers the boards for intel? But I know I already tried to go to Intel for help. Not the support site though. I will check, but my experience with support sites is not very good.

If it is an original Intel motherboard, head to the Intel site or visit the board manufacturer's (like gigabyte, msi...) website and download them.

Winupdate.exe.exe...I think that's a malware item.

I have my doubts too.
Why not run a good anti-spyware software?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 BlazeCyndaquil

BlazeCyndaquil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

Sorry for not coming back here for a while, but I did fix my hardware problem. I just installed updates from the login menu, and it worked! But I ran winupdate.exe.exe through RegRun, and it said that it was a windows system file. It still asks to open every time I turn on my computer, and my computer still installs imaginary updates everytime I restart. I also did a quickscan in BitDefender, online, and it didn't find anything in it. It had me upload the file once, and is still in my scan report as being suspected because it has no signature. I still have doubts about it. I didn't find anything about it on google. I will do another scan and see what happens. It says that there is nothing new. Hmm... Should I upload the file somewhere?

#8 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

i just googled this and found this url with info on wiupdate.exe.exe think you should read http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md...eb66ba3e906369b

Edited by rayj0054, 01 February 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#9 BlazeCyndaquil

BlazeCyndaquil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

Well, I have to be able to find it. For whatever resason, I can't find it where BitDefender says it is. At lease I use firefox.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Should I upload the file somewhere?

Jottiscan
http://virusscan.jotti.org/en
Virustotal
http://www.virustotal.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

<<When I login, my computer asks to run "winupdate.exe.exe",>>

What you may have is a malware item which have been removed...but there remains a pointer to such in your startups. In such a case, the error message should indicate that the file cannot be found or does not exist at the designated path. It would not ask to run.

Louis

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

Try going to your startup menu in programs.
Try running MSCONFIG and check the startup tab to see if this is in your startup.

Another good program for easily removing startup entries is CCleaner.
Using the TOOLS option shows a startup tab. you can actually delete an entry there rather than just disable it, like you would with MSCONFIG.

Here's the link to CCleaner (BTW this program is absolutely free and not a trial version)

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard
This link is directly to the download page.

Good luck!
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 BlazeCyndaquil

BlazeCyndaquil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

Well, I did get rid of my WinUpdate.exe.exe file, using the usual techniques, and it is gone. But I still have the problem with it appearing that windows is being updated every time I restart my computer. Pervx found that I had 5 viruses: 2 cases of scandisk.dll on (two users...), 2 cases of wininetplugin.dll (two users again...), and ntload.dll on my other user. Although, RegCure said that I had like 1500 errors. Although I can see that most of them are really little things on RegCure (based on what it says it scans). I have seen sights talking about scandisk.dll and wininetplugin.dll and some say they are allright, and some say that they are very malicious. I have no idea. And is it worth getting rid of ntload.dll on my other user (it is almost completely bricked, with the fact that it goes astoundingly slow, and that firefox will not work unless I use bookmarks and links).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users