Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony VIO laptop freezing at desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 idiomtangent

idiomtangent

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

My brother is having issues with his Sony VIO laptop.
He is running XP media 2005.
Model number pcg7n2l.

His computer loads to desktop and after about 2 mins the icons appear then it freezes and sometimes goes black then restarts.

This started today.

The Task Manager has 25 processes when opened and increases at a steady rate up to 54
then the computer freezes.

He is not able to open any programs before it freezes and cannot get into safe mode.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by idiomtangent, 15 January 2010 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 idiomtangent

idiomtangent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

anyone have any ideas?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

My guess is that he is infected, but tha's not based on anything other than the fact that processes running seems to increase dramatically and the system crashes.

I don't see where he can do much other than clean install...if he's running MCE 2005, he should have XP install CDs.

There are some tools that might offer some value. No promise, but nothing to lose that I can see.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

Scroll down to Avira AntiVir Rescue System and download the .iso file. Then download Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm and install same. Use the Active@Iso Burner program to create a bootable CD from the .iso file downloaded previously, following the easy instructions for doing so.

Once the Avira file has been turned into a bootable CD, insert the bootable CD into the CD/DVD tray of the laptop. Enter the BIOS and change the boot options on the laptop so that it will boot from CD/DVD drive first. Save the changes made in the BIOS.

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

System will reboot, the CD will run.

Louis

#4 idiomtangent

idiomtangent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:00 AM

if he does this, will he lose everything on his computer?

he can not get on long enough to back anything up

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

Well...I would not expect that, although it's always a possibility.

Since I don't feel that the problem has yet been determined...I can't predict the outcome of any anticipated/projected events.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users