Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Building Comp - Help Needed!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rhscountryman1704

rhscountryman1704

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

I have always wanted to build my own computer and finally have enough cash to buy all the parts. I have a dual screen output right now and want the new computer I build to have the dual output also. I would like to have the new computer to have two DVI outputs, but don't know how expensive that may turn out to be. My ultimate goal is to be able to bring TV into my computer, record it, and then put it back out to the other TV's in the house. I think this may require three different video cards, one to pull the TV in, one to put the stuff I recorded back out to the other TV's, and another one to run my dual output. Does that sound right? I also want to be able to burn DVD's on the machine too. I know I want an AMD CPU that runs at least a quad-core and a SATA 3 Hard drive with at least 500 gig, preferably 1 tb.

I know this all sounds pretty stupid, but the Dell I'm running now is a piece and takes 30 minutes to just turn on. I can't expand it and that's why I'm taking the plunge to build my own, so I can expand later on if needed. I have nothing right now and I know I need the tower, power supply, CPU, Mother board, RAM, Video card (probably multiple) Sound Card, Hard Drive (Maybe multiple, wouldn't mind multiple), and an Internal CD/DVD burner. I've been looking at the following on Newegg's Website

Mother Bord:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128409

Hard Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822152185

Tower:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119196

Again, I was just browsing and am completely new to all of this and am realizing I am in way over my head. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you all so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

In other words, you want to use your PC has a home media server. You will also need a TV tuner and, depending on what you're going to be pulling from your cable company, you may need a CableCard-ready tuner. You cannot use that motherboard with an AMD setup below is a suggestion.

Case: LIAN LI PC-A06FB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - A simple, basic case made of aluminum. This is a mid-ATX case which is good for more mainstream setups as opposed to Full-ATX cases needed by gamers. $79

Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Since you're not going to be gaming, this board will do well. This motherboard allows for the latest AMD AM3 CPU's, DDR3, and Crossfire. It also has on-board audio, so you don't need to buy a sound card.$59

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz - This is one of AMD's best CPU's. Since it is Black Edition, it comes unlocked making overclocking very easy. Compared with the i7 and i5, the Phenom II can hold its own. $175

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 - This is in the latest generation of ATI's graphics cards. The 5770 is a mid-range GPU that allows for DirectX 11 and is very efficient. This card has two DVI ports and a single HDMI port. $179 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - I believe in planning for the future. This amount of wattage is more than enough to handle another 5770, if you later want one. It is also by a good company too. $89 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Fast RAM from a good company. You can buy two of these kits and max out on the amount of slots you have on your motherboard, if you want to. Most people will do fine with just a single kit. $94

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0 - You will be installing your operating system and applications onto this drive. The other drive, below, is to be used to store you media. This way, all of your TV content is stored on a drive that can be easily moved or replaced. $54

Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb - Plenty of space...unless you download or capture huge 1080p content. $84

Optical Drive: ASUS 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BC-08B1ST - This allows for you to read Blu-Ray's, but also write to DVD's and CD's. Since you're going for a media PC, I figured you may want a Blu-Ray drive. Note that Windows does not come with Blu-Ray movie playback built in natively and you may need software to allow it. $109

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - You cannot reuse an OEM edition on a new PC due to licensing restrictions. This is a 64-bit operating system. To use 4GB or more of RAM, you need a 64-bit OS. $109

TV Tuner: AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe ATSC/NTSC/QAM TV Tuner Card - You mentioned you will be capturing TV with the PC. I have this card, but removed it to reclaim space and add a second graphics card. I like it, it records not only standard cable channels, but also digital ATSC channels too. Premium, subscription channels will most likely require a CableCard to use and aren't very user friendly to PC's. $89

Grand Total: $1,135

3939.png

#3 rhscountryman1704

rhscountryman1704
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Thank you DJBPace07 for replying...sorry it's taking me a little while to get back on....So I went to a new store in the St. Louis area called the Micro Center the other day and saw that they had a [post="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=cool_master_932-_-11-119-160-_-Product"]Cool Master 932 full tower[/post] on sale for 129.99...I ended up buying it the next day after reading all of the reviews and saw that they had a really good price on it....I took it out of the package and it is kick ass!!! I have been doing soooo much research on everything over the past week now it's crazy....I bought a [post="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284&cm_re=western_digital_bare_drive_1tb-_-22-136-284-_-Product"]Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb bare drive[/post] from Best Buy today for 89.99 (after I used my 10 coupon for being a rewards member) I'm thinking I may buy another one in the near future, but the 1tb should last me a little while...I also have a 1tb Western digital external hard drive that will allow me to expand my music and picture files and I'll use the internal hard drive for movies and TV shows...

This now bring me to my next set of questions...I know I am going with the [post="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674&cm_re=amd_phenom_ii_x4_955-_-19-103-674-_-Product"]AMD Phenom IIx4 955 Black edition 3.2 GHz Quad Core processor[/post] you informed me about....it's a kick ass chip....I don't know what mother board to get though....I'm leaning towards Gigabyte's motherboards just because a few of my friends have recommended them....I have 7 available slots in the tower I bought for PCIe's and other PCI slots...I'm thinking I am going to need two PCIe 2.0 slots and 2 or 3 PCI slots and then have the other two available for other uses....any recommendations....I don't mind paying a little more for a nicer piece of equipment....

I also think I found my TV video card....the [post="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=15-116-015&SortField=3&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=2"]Hauppauge Model 1128[/post] but saw that it had mixed reviews....opinions? I'll check back soon!

#4 rhscountryman1704

rhscountryman1704
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

I also think I found my TV video card....the [post="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=15-116-015&SortField=3&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=2"]Hauppauge Model 1128[/post] but saw that it had mixed reviews....opinions? I'll check back soon!

Another quick stupid question is why are the hook ups to the mother board so small? They don't look like the long normal PCI hook ups like I see on other adapters....Does that mean it slides into something other than that long PCI slot on the motherboard?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

With motherboards, there are several good brands, ASRock is one. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, eVGA, and XFX are all nice too. If you want to spend more and get a Gigabyte, the GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard is essentially the same motherboard as the ASRock, it even has the same AMD 770 chipset. The only main difference between the two is that the ASRock board allows for Crossfire whereas the Gigabyte does not. That TV tuner is also more expensive and does basically the same thing as the AVerMedia though the Hauppauge does have more outputs which you will probably never use like the S-Video one. Both TV tuners are PCI Express X1, hence the small size of the connector. PCI Express is backwards compatible so an X1 card will fit into one for an X4, X8, and X16. Do not try and use it in a standard PCI slot as you will damage it.

3939.png

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16815116015

That's not a PCI card (those are becoming, it's a PCI-e card...which should be faster than the older Hauppauge PCI cards.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16815116015

If you want a PCI card, the HVR-1600 is the one available, http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/wind...oduct_list.html

Louis

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:54 PM

Be careful with TV tuner cards as all record NTSC but some don't record QAM or ATSC which is needed for digital cable or over-the-air HD.

3939.png

#8 NetSectors

NetSectors

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

Basically this is what you need to do... I put together kick booty pc just by doing research on NewEgg... Usually when you open up the specs, you can see what the system takes, and what are the requirements... the easiest way is use Microsoft Notepad, and take snapshots... and when you look for other components make sure they're what the mainboard is requiring. It works like a charm.. you can put together a PC in few hours... I got mine, it was a one time shot... All the parts worked!

Hope this helps! :huh:

Vahe Mushegyan :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users