Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

very annoying thing that my computer keep doing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Genix

Genix

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

well here's the scenario:
My computer is sending something out into the world and I can't figure out what. I had this problem before, but I solved it by restarting my computer. But this time it didn't solved it, and I concluded that this is something that I have to be serious about.
So, about somewhere between 0.10 to 0.50 percent of my link speed (215 MB/sec), my computer is sending something out into the world. If anyone can help, I will appreciate it.
Magic words: Please and Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

umm...what?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

umm...what?

My computer is sending out something into the net and I don't know what it is. I am aware that it is sending out something

Edited by Genix, 15 January 2010 - 04:57 PM.

#4 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

With what programs have you already scanned your computer to check for any infections that may be doing this ?

Do you have any reports from those scans for someone to check for you ?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

How do you determine that 'something' is being sent out? What is it being sent? If you are just seeing out bound traffic it could be keep alive packets, or requests for updates for any software that has an update feature. We need more information than you are giving us of 'something'. What is that something?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

How do you determine that 'something' is being sent out? What is it being sent? If you are just seeing out bound traffic it could be keep alive packets, or requests for updates for any software that has an update feature. We need more information than you are giving us of 'something'. What is that something?

that something is an unknown factor for me. It is the fact that I don't know what it is, and posting it here might help me. I don't know what it is, but I do know that my computer is sending out stuff. This stuff can range from an email spam to a hacker trying to access my files. I don't know what my computer is sending out, and I want to find out. If it is potential threat to my computer (WinXP BTW), I need to remove it.

roadclosed, I have Norton AntiVirus 2009, and scan the computer; it found nothing.

Edited by Genix, 15 January 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#7 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

As you seem to have only Norton Antivirus program on there may I suggest you scan with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Complete Scan", then click Scan.
    • If the program won't start, go to MBAM's program folder (normally C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware), rename mbam.exe to a random file name (keep the .exe extension) and double-click on it to start the program.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • You will need to copy & Paste the entire report.
Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Then please download
Superantispyware
  • Load Superantispyware and click the check for updates button.
  • Once the update is finished click the scan your computer
    button.
  • Check Perform Complete Scan and then next.
  • Superantispyware will now scan your computer and when its finished
    it will list all the infections it has found.
  • Make sure that they all have a check next to them and press
    next.
  • Click finish and you will be taken back to the main
    interface.
  • Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs
    tab. Click the dated log and press view log and a text file will
    appear.
  • Copy and paste the logs from both this and the Malwarebytes program on to the forum.

Please let us see both those reports when you have run the scans. To run both full computer scans may take you several hours so be patient and let us know when they are complete

#8 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

does removing AVG 9.0 got to do with this? because it happened right after avg got removed and restarted my computer

#9 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

Can you please do the requested scans so we can at least hopefully eliminate an infection as the cause of the problem

May one ask ..
How did you remove the AVG9.0 and from where did you originally download it?

Did you install the Norton in preparation for changing your Antivirus protection before you uninstalled AVG

OR were you at some point running the computer with no active antivirus program ?

Pleae do the requested scans to give us a starting point for a diagnosis of what may be going on and let us see their reports

#10 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

Can you please do the requested scans so we can at least hopefully eliminate an infection as the cause of the problem

May one ask ..
How did you remove the AVG9.0 and from where did you originally download it?

Did you install the Norton in preparation for changing your Antivirus protection before you uninstalled AVG

OR were you at some point running the computer with no active antivirus program ?

Pleae do the requested scans to give us a starting point for a diagnosis of what may be going on and let us see their reports

I'm scanning it, it's almost 4 hours since i started. yeah, I have norton 2009 before I installed AVG, I have a norton 2004 version, so I upgraded to a 09 version.

EDIT:

Log file:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3575
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/16/2010 5:31:11 PM
mbam-log-2010-01-16 (17-31-11).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 334116
Time elapsed: 6 hour(s), 54 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.sonicwinghero\Desktop\Flash_Disinfector.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\My Backup -- 09-11-12 0303PM\Program Files\ACE Mega CoDecS Pack\UtilitieS\Remover.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I kinda liked Flash Disinfector, it's good for getting rid of unwanted viruses in flash drives.
Ok, all those 6 hours and my computer is still sending something out into the net. This really bothers me, because everytime I play an MMORPG, there's always going to be a connection lag! So what now?

Edited by Genix, 16 January 2010 - 05:37 PM.

#11 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

I can't seem to find the edit button, so I guess I have to double post.
HijackThis v2.0.2 log file:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:16:49 PM, on 1/17/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

MOD EDIT: Pulled HJT log~~boopme

Was wondering if this might help along with these pictures.
Posted Image
This shows my computer is sending out something everyday for the last couple of days!
Posted Image
This shows my computer is acting normal for me.

Edited by boopme, 18 January 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:21 AM

I think this whole thing needs moved over to the Am I Infected? forum.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#13 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

yeah, NOW I think so too.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hello, I am moving this to Am I Infected.

I removed your HJT log as they have to be posted else where,see below. You decide if you want to continue here or thre.

To run HJT/DDS.
Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 thru 8 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

I like to continue here
I still have to scan my computer with Superantispyware

Edited by Genix, 18 January 2010 - 12:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users