Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer has virus and wont let me do a system restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jroach14

jroach14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

my computer has like a million pop ups about some program internet security 2010, which i think is the virus but it wont let me remove it or do a system restore.help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

Start here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
fueled by coffee™

#3 thisnameissoclever

thisnameissoclever

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

"it won't let me X" is USELESS.
"When I try to do X, I get this error: Y" is HELPFUL.

Please keep this in mind. Also, disable your AV before running system restore. (may or may not be helpful, depending on what in the world your problem is)

If the music is loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

The best thing for you to do is use the link provided above which will take you to the Hijack This preparation guide.
Follow the steps listed in the guide.
If you choose to do this, keep in mind that the HJT team is very busy and it may take a few days for someone to review your log and respond.

The other thing you could do is post in Am I Infected. The advantage of posting in AII is that you generally receive help a lot quicker than you would in HJT.
Many times infections can be cleaned using other tools. If a HJT log is necessary, you'll be advised to post one.

Please do not post in both at the same time, choose only one forum for your problem.

Just to be clear, when you say system restore, do you mean restoring your system to point to just before the issue began or a full re-install of your OS?

At this point, a system restore to a time before the issue began may not be the best option.

If you choose to post in HJT forum or AII, please go to Tidiness, post the link to this topic, and asked that it be closed.
It's much better to deal with this in only one place.

After your system is clean, you can request that this topic be re-opened if you still experience problems with system restore.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 January 2010 - 07:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users