Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invisible Virus crashing all my browsers?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mountain Pleiades

Mountain Pleiades

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

So, my computer got infected by Malware Defense, and I used this link to help clean it off. A subsequent scan after following these directions found that I was still infected with Vundo, so I followed the directions in this guide (first VundoFix and then VirtumundoBeGone after vundoFix didn't work).

However, something is still obviously amiss. ANY web browser I open immediately crashes (IE, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari) - even in safe mode. IE is special in that I get an error message every few minutes. At first I thought it was because Windows has IE so interwoven with the operating system, but then it managed to get the window open before crashing, with NetLinks.com in the browser window. Finally, my computer randomly issues noisy advertisements from the speakers, which I suspect is related to the IE windows trying to open. All this is evidently weighing on my computer's memory, as it often completely freezes up - not even CTRL-ALT-DEL will do anything and the only way to reset is with the power button.

Unfortunately, I have run full scans with MBAM, Symantec, and HouseCall by TrendMicro, all with the most recent updates, but no antivirus software detects any problems.

I run Windows XP and am running Windows update to get as many updates as possible, but other than that, I'm confused as to what to do next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users