Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 munozmm

munozmm

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

Yesterday out of the blue the XP SP3 upgrade shows up on my screen. So, I went thru the processes and after it says to reboot, the PC turned off but it didn't boot and stays at the Windows XP logo screen. After I turn off the PC by using the On button, it sends me to the screen for selecting the safe mode, etc. I don't how to proceed from here and I know it was the XP SP3 that screwed up my PC. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thisnameissoclever

thisnameissoclever

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

Did you... select safe mode? normal mode?

you're going to have to try selecting one, and see what happens.

If the music is loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart.

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

Is it possible that you have an HP computer with an AMD processor in it?

HP had a problem with SP3 on some of their systems using an AMD processor. The problem stems from HP using an XP image that was created on an Intel processor computer and restoring it to an AMD processor machine.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

<<...I know it was the XP SP3 that screwed up my PC>>

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 munozmm

munozmm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

I've got a Dell Dimension E510 Pentium 4 Windows XP Media center; I tried the safe mode and after it printed a long list of something with "DRIVERS" in it, & it showed this message:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. \
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0X0000007e (0X0000005, 0X80536DE2, 0xF7C9B508, 0xF7C9B204)

I hope you can make something out of this. I'm not very techy. Thank you very much for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

Worth reading, http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&doclang=en

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

AumHa Forums Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users