Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP OEM install on new HDD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

I have a Gateway system that I recently installed a larger HDD. Added 1TB system currently has 160GB drive which has been maxed out due to storing and editing HD video - camcorder footage.

I would like to install the OEM OS on the larger HDD and use the smaller drive for additional storage.

The 1TB HDD is formatted with as a primary parttion - active.

I first tried copying the smaller drive to the larger and it left me with the 3 parttions original recovery,original partition w/OS and the remainder of the 1st 160Gb and an unallocated space of the remainder of the 1TB.

So as I satated i went back to the - The 1TB HDD is formatted with as a primary parttion - active state.

I have loaded non - OEM OS (disc) in the past severable times prior and have had no trouble. This recovery stuff is new to me.

How do I load the OS (oem0 onto the larger drive.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

FWIW: Actually...you would be better served by keeping the smaller of the two drives as your system drive...and moving data files from it to the larger drive.

There is no advantage that I can conceive of...in having a very large hard drive (IMO, anything over 40GB is too large) as the boot/system drive.

Even if you create multiple partitions on the drive...risk of HD failure imperils everything on that particular drive, dependent on what goes awry.

Doing maintenance on an overly large partition....becomes a nightmare of senseless waiting for completion for even the most mundane maintenance activities.

As for installing from Gateway disks, etc. onto a different drive...the Gateway website should provide the documentation for such efforts. These procedure would be governed by the fact that there is a recovery/restore partition that must be used to have your system function in the manner Gateway configured.

Louis

#3 thisnameissoclever

thisnameissoclever

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

so... you installed the drive, booted to the OEM installation disk, and... what happened?

If the music is loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart.

#4 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

I agree with you to an extent regarding the smaller partition and OS each situation is different however. I need the space to utilize MCE to streaming video and such from the directory associated within the OS. If there is a way to stream the data that I am unaware of from a different partition I would be interested.

#5 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

"so... you installed the drive, booted to the OEM installation disk, and... what happened? "

Never tried that. I was hoping to keep things the way they were as far as current applications loaded and such and truth be told expand the partition with a freeeware site Auses or something like that. This would be preffered.

#6 thisnameissoclever

thisnameissoclever

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

ok so you're saying you want to move the current contents from your drive, including operating system and installed programs, onto a new hard drive in the same computer (which should replace the current?)

I would recommend drive imaging software, such as Norton Ghost or a freeware equivalent.
If you're running Windows 7, it's built in. Open the backup window from control panel and read about it there.

If the music is loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

If you want to move everything...and then resize partitions...you need a program which will clone partitions/drives (exactly as they are) and then you need a program to adjust the sizes of the partitions you created.

There are many applications suggesting that they do these things. Additionally, the hard drive manufacturers often have software which facilitates the move, if not the adjsustment of partition sizes.

Go to the website of the manufacturer of your new drive...and look (carefully) at the software available.

That failing, I know that Partition Magic 8 allows for cloning of the drive (all partitions) and maintains the bootable aspect of the new drive.

For resizing the partitions after the new drive is populated, I suggest Easeus Partition Master (free edition).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users