Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new HDD won't boot anything from NTFS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

Okay I am having this problem for almost a day without taking breath.

Long story short:

I use Vista ULT SP2. So I mounted the new hdd and then booted from installation dvd. I formetted the hard drive from the installation screen of Vista dvd. I made 2 partitions (just like I had on my older disk) and then chose C:\ for install.

The "Copying Installation Files" wouldn't go further that 0%. Then it popped up a msg saying GREEK (that's my operating system language so is mine too lol) that I can't fully translate. It was something about "machine", development machine? I dont know, enlighten me if you may...

I was stunned.

I tried 3 or 4 more times until I said to myself to put the OEM ghost image RAW etc etc that came along with my laptop, of Win XP. This copy of windows makes my disk to FAT32. And it's the ONLY thing than actually CAN boot.

Then I wanted to convert the partition C: to NTFS (D: is ntfs already) and when I did, I passed the loading screen and then a cute BSOD appeared - so fast I couldnt read the cause.

Then I 've put another XP installation disk this time and ran Recovery Console.

I did

chkdsk /p
chkdsk /r
fixboot
fixmbr

But alas, same thing.

After numerous hours of trying, I thought to put on D: the Vista files, and then swap the drive letters or boot from D then convert C and install on C.

After some time it hit me.

All the installation dvds and cds I ve used aren't faulty, cause I always installed from those cds and on older disks went all fine.

Its the NTFS that won't let me boot anything.

Not even Knoppix or xUbuntu to see what's happening.

So why a NEW disk CANNOT digest that it MUST be NTFS?

Why it won't boot?

Please help me I am open to suggestions.

The hdd is a brand new Blue Scorpion WD 2,5''.....

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

<< I made 2 partitions (just like I had on my older disk) and then chose C:\ for install.>>

I find that...when installing Windows on a new drive...it's best to create just the one partition for the O/S to be installed...and not create any partitions before attempting the install using a MS Genuine CD. So I suggest that you delete your two partitions and then just try anew, creating the one system partition and installing strictly from the MS CD/DVD.

Any partitions desired in addition to the first system partition...can be created as they are needed or additional O/Ses are installed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2010 - 12:16 PM.

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

<< I made 2 partitions (just like I had on my older disk) and then chose C:\ for install.>>

I find that...when installing Windows on a new drive...it's best to create just the one partition for the O/S to be installed...and not create any partitions before attempting the install using a MS Genuine CD. So I suggest that you delete your two partitions and then just try anew, creating the one system partition and installing strictly from the MS CD/DVD.

Any partitions desired in addition to the first system partition...can be created as they are needed or additional O/Ses are installed.

Louis

Tried with one partition too.

What is NTFS is not bootable.

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

#4 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Okay I ve put the Seven Beta 2 I had somewhere and booted. I started installing Vista from 7 environment and we will see...

#5 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

I managed installing 7, to install Vista afterwards.

I get stuck on loading screen and BSOD of UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

What can I do next I am desperate :thumbsup:

HELP?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

FWIW: You are just creating a lot of unnecessary stress for yourself...by not installing oldest O/S first. There are ways to get around that but it's far simpler to just do it as it's programmed to be done.

Louis

#7 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

FWIW: You are just creating a lot of unnecessary stress for yourself...by not installing oldest O/S first. There are ways to get around that but it's far simpler to just do it as it's programmed to be done.

Louis

I will say it again...

Oldest OS makes HDD FAT32 and conversion makes it to crush.

If I cant make it NTFS, I can't put another OS.

And only 7 managed to boot, but then again Vista said Unmountable_Boot_Volume :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users