Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Prob!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sibo80

Sibo80

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

Hello. So my computer has been running slowly. I have McAfee Anti Virus Software running, but a full scan on that revealed no infections. I also had Malwarebyte Anti Malware installed (having previously had problems). So I run that. Leave the computer. And come back to find a black screen. I try to restart the computer and the following message comes up:

Windows could not start becuase the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\congif\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Update: I have loaded up the recovery console. But am not sure what to do now.

Edited by Sibo80, 15 January 2010 - 11:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hello Go Back and start over.

See How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

When you see this ...
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3.Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

4.Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations. 5.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users