Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need some advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dome089823

dome089823

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

frist off let me say hello to all, i'm new to the fourms and came here for some advice with a few thing that i need to get done. first off my home comp is a gateway with xp pro now we just built a daiquiri shop and i'm in the process of installing a hard wire alarm and a web ready dvr video system which i have the manual on that tells me how to hook it all up.but my guestion for now is #1 can i network xp pro to xp home? or do i need to make sure i get pro when i get the comp for the store.
here is what i'm wanting to do,when the alarm goes off it gives me a call,then i go to my comp networked to the store look at all 16 cams an see if any things going on or not,are just be able to view the store at any time. the store will be on dsl and my home comp is dial up [cant get dsl] :thumbsup: so if some of ya grurus could give me some advice i would be very greatful.i have never network comp,i do know some about them but nothing about networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:55 AM

I would stick with XP for the new computer for sure. It hard to say with out knowing what the dvr supports or how the cameras will be connected to the network to give any real insight. One thing is since you will have more than one device you will need a router. Hopefully you can get one with enough ports to support your devices. More than likely you will be needing a Static IP for the Shop so you can do the things you want. Standard DSL uses DHCP so your IP address could change and then what ever you have set up to view the cameras remotely will not work. You can request a static address from your provider..it will just cost a little more.

Other than that we would need more information about the DVR system. Does the software support remote access? Make and model would help.

Edited by Baltboy, 15 January 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 dome089823

dome089823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

thanks for the quick reply Baltboy the dvr system is window compatibale and has to go through a router whitch hooks to a comp then to dsl an since my ip ad changes i'll have to go to dyndns an open acount so it will forward what it needs so i'll be able to conect..all this is explained in the install manual of the dvr hooking to the net. but i need to know can i network with and have full control over the shop comp if it xp home? because this is not all thats going to be hooked to the comp at the shop..my hard wire alarm is also going through it and will be controled be home with compass software and not a montering company save alot of $ but i have to have full access to the shop comp from my house comp the camer dvr system does alow full acess as well as my hard wire put the back up cellur system all i need to know is #1can xp pro network with xp home and have full acess over the shop comp.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Yes you can. You are looking for remote management software. Like RealVNC. I have not used software like this but that is the kind of program you are looking for. You just want to make sure what you use will allow you to take control of the PC all remotely, meaning no one has to be there to click anything.

I am not endorsing RealVNC as what you should use, just giving an example. There are some "free" ones out there that you can use. I say "free" cause some say free but then there are strings attached. Might not cost money but maybe you have to put up with ads and stuff.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 15 January 2010 - 12:17 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 dome089823

dome089823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

thanks CaveDweller2 for the reply an info i'll give it a good look over and go from there.sounds like that is what i'll looking for be cause i must have total controle over the shop comp from home.the only thing that has got me wondering about is that from my understanding and i could be wrong but i for some reason remember reading that with pro a home certian files can't be shared or some thing to that efect but thanks again for the info and i'll read over the program and see what the ins a outs are,and as far as free lol i've found that pretty much nothing if free and realy for what it will be used for i don't mind putting the money in to it if it will give me what i want..and the reason i'm asking about pro an home is because home you can pick up just about and ware pro will be a specisl order that i really don't have the time to wait for un less i just had to lol

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

I don't think you'll run into any problems with home and pro =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

Home will work. The only real difference between home and pro is the level of control you have over the OS. If the computer at the shop will be controlling everything you can use the builtin RDP to connect. You will just have to set up the router to forward RDP requests to the shop computer.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users