Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 0x0000007E - can't boot from safe mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sdrob

sdrob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hi,

My Dell 8200 with Windows XP SP3 has a stop error 0x0000007E and a FLTMGR.SYS address F78512B2 error. After trying to reboot using the F8 key I can select Safe Mode but during the reboot it just gives me the BSOD mentioned above.

I got to this point, when I had another stop error 0x0000005? I can't quite remember the last byte. This occurred at somepoint during the night and the next morning the system was sitting at the BSOD. I could not boot from Safe Mode either and so I booted from my original XP install disk and selected Repair OS. Once this was done, I tried to reboot off of the HD and the 0x0000007E message with the FLTMGR.SYS message was thrown.

What do I do now? Your advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I suspect that I have some sort of corruption probably due to a virus. I recently switched from Mcafee to Spyware Doctor and some viruses were found and supposedly cleaned. Things seem to be running fine for a few days and then the BOSD showed up.

Thanks, SDRob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

See if this takes care of it.
SUPERAntiSypware has a built in "Repairs" feature to fix policy restrictions and certain Windows settings which are sometimes targeted by malware infection.

Please download SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • Click the Repairs tab.
  • Click on (highlight) "Repair broken SafeBoot key" and then click the Repair button.
  • You may be asked to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sdrob

sdrob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:28 AM

Right now I can't boot to get to the point where I can download SUPERAntiSpyWare. Am I misunderstanding what you are suggesting? I'm stuck at the BSOD.

thanks

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

Basically it is telling you that the file FLTMGR.SYS is causing an exception error. FLTMGR.SYS is a microsoft system file and more than like has been corrupted. The file itself is located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Get the file on a CD-RW from another PC. Start the PC by using the windows disk and go the the recovery console. Rename the old file FltMgr.old and copy the new file to the directory. Exit the console and reboot. Hope that helps.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 sdrob

sdrob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Baltboy. I'll give this a try tonight when I get home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users